Related Posts with Thumbnails

"Let Us Be Thankful First".....

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A few days ago, my daughter Holly & I thought we could just stop in quickly at a local mall to pick up one pair of black leggings....Just park the car, enter the store, make the purchase & be one our way. ....Instead, we encountered what might have been the craziest, shopping frenzy short of Back Friday??.....I guess we should have expected that concidering this year's economic state, along with Christmas right around the corner!?

Of course, looking for one pair of leggings proved to be the one item of clothing no store had?,...so there we were, going store to store.......After exhausting all our possibilities & being surrounded by holiday music ( which I do always love!), decorations & even the "Salvation bell ringers", we finally ended up at Nordstrom.

Now years ago I was a manager/buyer at Norstrom, so I am very aware of it's holiday philosophy, ...."No Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving"!.... one I completely agree with!!.....So as we walked by the store, the store windows were covered in brown craft paper that explained that particular sentiment, " That Nordstrom feels we should enjoy one holiday at a time, that being Thanksgiving"!.....I was so very proud of my former employer!!! Let us enjoy a day of "thanks" first & then let the holiday festivities begin!!!.....

Years ago as a young Nordstrom manager, I couldn't wait to come in the day after Thanksgiving, to see what Santa's decorating elves had created over-night! .....Each year the store became simply magical, with music playing & lights twinkling!....but it was all the more wonderful, because it was done in a timely respectful manner. Even though these days I am not doing a great deal of shopping at Nordstrom, I was reminded of the wonderful family that started that store & the values they had. It was refreshing to realize that one store is still holding true to the idea that Thanksgiving is an important day & one that should never be overshadowed. So on that note let me wish you all a very relaxing & lovely Thanksgiving Day!.....I am blessed to have you all in my life......Your friend, Heidi XO

14 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME November 24, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Kimberly November 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Yay, Nordstrom! I really respect their stand on store decor. I love Thanksgiving and wish it wasn't given such short shrift.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa November 24, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

Good for Nordstrom's! One holiday at a time. Happy Thanksgiving, Heidi!

Lynn Jones November 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

What a sweet post. Too bad merchandising has taken priority over the observance of a special day in our country. I often feel regret that my children have only known such a busy, busy go, go, go world so different than the one I enjoyed when I was younger. At least there are people like you to remember with.

Suzie Button November 24, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

How true, it is refreshing to see a store hold off on the holidays until after Thanksgiving! I hope your holidays are wonderful, I can't wait for my first thanksgiving with my granddaughter! Suzie

Sherri November 25, 2009 at 2:02 AM  

Heidi, I wish more stores would follow Nordstroms decorating philosophy. Christmas decorations start earlier and earlier ever year. Kind of takes the magic of Christmas and the real meaning of Christmas away. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!! Enjoy!

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage November 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

I agree...too many stores starting too early! Good for Nordstrom! Nice post. Have a great Thanksgiving. ; )
~Michele

Melanie November 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Beverly November 26, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Happy Thanksgiving to your and your family, dear Heidi. I count you among my blessings.

And, thank you for sharing this memory. My husband and I were saying earlier that we respect businesses that close for Thanksgiving.

I can hardly wait for the pillow to arrive. I know my son and grandson are going to love having it for their home. Thank you.

Ramona November 27, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

Amen! And, well said.

Smiles ~ Ramona

Susan November 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM  

I wish all stores were like that.

Bumpkin Hill November 28, 2009 at 1:10 AM  

I used to work at a wonderful gift shop in England for the Royal horticultural society, but dispaired when the christmas items came in in September!! I hope you and your family had a lovely Thanksgiving. It's Holiday Sale party at my Blog this weekend, much more fun than the Malls! HUGS, Catherine x

Fleur de Bee November 28, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

Just in for one pair of leggings eh? ROFL that is HYSTERICAL! Nice one! I love Nordies (as we affectionately call it here!) and I agree with one holiday at a time! I am taking down all the Thanksgiving and Fall decor today and replacing it with Christmas and more Winter-ish stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving and wonderful weekend to all of you guys! You have all brightened my year with your friendships!

xo Molly

Lynn,  December 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

That's great that they wait to decorate but I never mind hearing music or seeing displays early. It's just another way I get to publicly remember and talk about The Savior. I wish Nordstrom's had as good as labor practices as they do worrying about holidays...I used to be in HR and retail so I know a little about them. Nice clothes though!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP