Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back To School".....

Monday, August 30, 2010



Last week, I took my first college class of all time! ......That's right, never been to college. Not really even sure why I didn't go? Anyway, that changed a week ago!...My daughter Mallory & I have signed up for a "pattern-making" class. We both design & sew, but neither of us know a thing about making a pattern from a sketch?....However, by the time this semester is over, hopefully our pattern making skills will be sharp enough for each of us to qualify for the next Project Runway!.....

I have to say learning something you have always wanted to do is so exhilarating!....I sat in the class, hanging on each word, as our teacher described all the necessary tools & their functions. She talked about needing to be very precise,
...."industry exact" is how she explained it.....was that "fashion industry exact"?...OMGoodness!....She talked about what we would be learning & how she wanted us all to feel comfortable with the terms & references of pattern making, so we could be confidant when dealing with those in the fabric & design industry.
Now keep in mind, my goals are a bit less lofty, but listening to our teacher, I realized how much I love learning & how you are simply never too old to expand your knowledge.
Who knows?...This class may spur me on to another!...."pattern making" today....possibly "draping" next semester!?......

Enjoy your day & keep absorbing knowledge!

Heidi
xo

6 comments:

cakegirl August 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

Heidi, Good for you! I have a friend who majored in fashion design in college and is a superb seamstress. You can show her a picture and she will duplicate it starting with making the pattern! I have a few Armani copies that I love, thanks to Karlene! Let me know when you are open for business!

Sherri August 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Heidi-I am so proud of you! Isn't learning wonderful! I remember taking my pottery/ceramics class at the local college-it was wonderful! Can't wait to see what you create with you new found knowledge!

Hope August 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM  

What a wonderful endeavor. I am so proud of you. Your blog is lovely....love the post about farm sinks. I just installed one last November and LOVE it sooo much.
XO~Hope

BailiwickStudio September 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM  

Congratulations! Learning a new skill in a field you already love is wonderful.

And by the way, I have an extra pattern notcher I'd love to send you if you need one. Just let me know! ::Jill

Anonymous,  September 3, 2010 at 5:41 AM  

Hello Heidi,
congratulations ! You are courageous and it is so pleasant to learn something new even in a field you love and know well.
We are awaiting for your first feeling. I realised that I was not following your blog.. I do not know why. It is down.

onesilentwinter October 25, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

that is wonderful and that you are doing it with your daughter is beautuful!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP