Related Posts with Thumbnails

Autumn.......

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Good Morning, As most of you know I live in Southern California. For the most part, it is a very nice place to be....However, when "Autumn" arrives, the changes are very "subtle" to say the least. Yes, the nights are getting cooler, the "light" is a bit weaker & even a few leaves are changing color,.... but compared to the rest of the country, "Autumn" is not quite the exuberant display of colorful fall leaves, crisp temperatures, or a time when wooly sweaters are yet needed....In fact yesterday it was dry, sunny & hovering near 100 degress!?....Not my idea of Fall!


You could argue that "Autumn" is more of a state of mind" than a season I guess, and that is definitely the way I choose to see it. I have been blessed with a very "vivid imagination"....which I choose to put to great use at this time of year! :)....This is how it goes....


In "my mind's eye",..... Fall here at my house is glorious!!....The turning leaves are creating "brilliant canopies" overhead!.......& I can hear the "rustle of fallen leaves" underfoot!.....It is far too chilly to leave home without a "wooly sweater" & my "finger-less" ragwool gloves are being put to great use when raking up all the colorful piles of leaves!....."Cool-weather" is also inspiring me to create "slow-cooking, hearty soups", along with "seasonal pies & tarts".....and oh!, that cup of "warm apple cider" on a chilly autumn day tastes so delicious while relaxing on the porch, draped with an old quilt!
So even though, it may look & feel a bit more like "summer" here in So. Cal.....with the help of September magazines, all these gorgeous photographs (thank you flick.r!) & my over-active imagination.....I will be just fine!.... In fact, better than fine!.....I am decorating, cooking & immersing myself in Autumn & all it has to offer,.... hot weather or not!


The "motto" here is not to allow yourself to "wallow" in what you don't have, but create the "environment" in which you wish to be!....For me, it is in these photographs!.....All my senses have been inspired!, so now with the help of a bit of "imaging",... my Autumn is looking to be the best ever!......Enjoy yours!........Heidi XO

Note: Attention to any of you who have joined my "Recipe & Tablesetting Exchange"....A few of you have not left your "blog address".....or "e-mail address"....I must have one or the other in order for you to participate.....Here are the ladies that need to contact me....Anita & Dianne ...Thank you!

19 comments:

cathleen September 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM  

Heidi, I enjoyed your "imaginary autumn" essay. Your photos are the epitome of fall, that's for sure.

Margie September 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

Absolutely breathtaking photos! They are helping me to get into the Fall mood, as here in Central PA we are teetering on the brink of Fall, but the leaves have not really started to turn yet. I'm looking forward to it! The air is getting a bit cooler, although there is still quite a bit of humidity too!

Tamara Jansen September 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

Wish it was as pretty here as in your photos :) Nothing like colorful fall leaves....

Lindsay-ann September 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM  

Hi
I just came across your lovely blog and enjoyed your beautiful photographs.
We are approaching fall too here in England.
Lindsay

Robin Beck September 25, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

So Beautiful...I felt like I was in the photos!
Thanks for sharing Heidi Ann~!

Polka Dot Moon September 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM  

I just love the colors of fall and the picture of the bridge. How I long for a crisp morning with a slight chill in the air............maybe if I move out of Arizona ;)

Anonymous,  September 25, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

Heidi, I love your imagined autumn. Spending most of my life in South Florida, I know just what you mean. I love that we have a change of season where we live now.

GARAGE SALE GAL September 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

If you come and visit me, you would be able to take your own beautiful fall photos :)
Have a great weekend. I'll have to stop by and see all the pretty table settings.
Warmly, Deb

KatCollects September 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

Beautiful photos, and great attitude! Love Autumn, it's the best.
Kathy

Louise September 25, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

How inspirational! I'm sure I have more "autumn" than you have, but I miss midwestern autumn. I'll just pretend I have it!

Jennifer September 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM  

Heidi,Beautiful pics.That is what it looks like here in the fall.I love it!!!It was breezy and cool today and now very chilly tonight.Supposed to get rain the next couple days,so definatly comfort food weather.Hugs and happy fall,Jen

Kelly September 26, 2008 at 2:59 AM  

So glad to have found your blog.. I have just been over at your daughters???... to participate in the snowflake Christmas Swap. I have never done that before and looking forward to it!! Anyways you both have delightful blogs!!
Beautiful Blessings~Kelly Maria

PS~ I invite you to come by my blog, I am having an Autumn Giveaway!

Anonymous,  September 26, 2008 at 7:19 AM  

Heidi,

I'm having a little giveaway on my blog for my 100th post and would love for you to enter. All you have to do is comment on my blog.

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.typepad.com

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda September 26, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Hi Heidi, Beautiful post! The pictures are amazing! I am going to be away from my computer this evening through tomorrow, so I went ahead and posted my tablescape for your autumn post tomorrow. Could you link me up to the linky thing? When I return, I'll visit everyone's contribution! Can't wait to see your beautiful dining room!!! :)

~hugs, Rhonda

Mindy September 26, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

Beautiful words and pictures! I'm already in an autumn state of mind and we have cooler temps, but not really fall color yet. Thanks for the inspiration for more seasonal fun!

Cottage Rose September 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM  

Hey Heidi; I love how your imagination works. Love all the fall photos, it is going to be cooler here next week, YEA We are have some light color and dropping leaves. I love this time of year, it is my favorite.

Have a great fall weekend.

Hugs;
Alaura

Elaine October 5, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

I just found your blog. Love your Autumn photos. I live in New England where it is just about full blown Autumn. Your descriptions are so accurate! It's as if I wrote them myself. Enjoy your imaginary autumn and be thankful you can also enjoy an imaginary Winter. Bitter cold, icy roads, and endless snow, although beautiful, Winter is not
as romantic as it looks.

I have autumn photos posted on my blog if you'd like to check them out. www.cafechatelaine.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  October 8, 2008 at 3:42 AM  

Heidi, isn't today reveal day for the Halloween Swap? Am I too early?

Jeanne

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP