Related Posts with Thumbnails

A Great Teacher....Martha Stewart

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Martha choosing a new chow puppy.....

Good Morning....It is September 15th.....The fourth season of the "Martha Stewart Show" starts today!...& I am so excited!....Another year of wonderful ideas, from the woman who has elevated "homemaking" to an art form!....I was in my late twenties when I first became aware of Martha Stewart. I was on vacation in Palm Springs, my husband was playing golf,... & I was shopping. I was browsing through a bookstore, when I noticed a book titled "Entertaining". It was a big & beautiful....& was written by a woman who shared all my same interests,... home, cooking, decorating & of course entertaining!...I remember not being able to put it down, so instead I bought it, $50!!!..... And from that afternoon on,... the author of that book, Martha Stewart, would be a huge influence on my life!.....


Martha & her amazing sewing & craft room.....

Over the years, I have watched her videos, bought her magazine & every book she has written. I remember when her show came on once a week on Sunday afternoons...I taped & watched each one, learning more & more about keeping a home, starting a garden & even frosting the perfect sugar cookie! If Martha did it, I would too!!!.....And then came her daily television show,... I know you all remember the ones that were taped at her beloved Turkey Hill home & property. At my house her show came on fairly early in the morning, so after getting my girls to school & taking my daily walk, I would come home to a cup of coffee & Martha!....Her show was usually followed by a call from my friend Carol, who was already off to the grocery to pick up whatever ingredients she needed in order to prepare the dish Martha had just taught us!


Martha surrounded by vegetables....

I'm sure many of you, have some of these same memories....We listened, we learned & we tried projects & recipes & techniques, that never would have occured to us if it hadn't been for Martha!....I have to admit, again like many of you, that I can now say I have become a fairly efficient homemaker..... I feel comfortable in the kitchen, & can entertain with the best of them, .....I can confidently plant a vegetable garden, paint furniture & even cover every inch of the Christmas tree with tiny white lights.... without any cord showing!....Martha was & continues to be an inspirational teacher,..... & I look forward to continuing my education. Later today, my school year begins again.....I am so looking forward to seeing what this talented lady has in store for us this season!......Join me & we'll find out together! Happy viewing!

Note #1: I have included Martha's recipe for "Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust".....one that is new to me too!.....but not for long...Am going to bake one up this afternoon! Makes one 10-inch pie
Cheddar Crust
1 1/2 pounds (about 3) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
2 pounds (about 5) Cortland apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg, beaten
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide dough into two pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each to a 13-inch circle.
Fit one circle into a 10-inch pie plate; transfer plate to a baking sheet. Put other circle on another baking sheet. Refrigerate dough until cold, at least 30 minutes.
Stir together apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Spoon into bottom pie crust. Dot filling with butter. Cover with top crust. Fold edges over; crimp decoratively to seal. Cut a steam vent. Chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
Brush with egg. Bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Tent with foil; bake until juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes more. Let cool at least 1 1/2 hours before serving

Note #2: I also thought I would include the instructions for Martha's sweet little Halloween "candy boxes".....so easy, so cute!

Candy Box How-ToUsing heavyweight paper, download template and print.
1. Using a straightedge and a craft knife, cut out template. Cut slits along solid white lines; crease along dotted lines using template as a guide. Make holes at white dots using a 1/8-inch hole punch.
2. Form template into box. Using a glue stick, adhere bottom and side flaps in place, leaving top open. Fill box with candy of your choice.
3. Cut an 8-inch length of 1/4-inch-wide ribbon, and knot ends to form a loop. Thread looped end up through top flap without the tab, and then up through top flap with the tab. To close box, tuck tab into slit at top of box.
First Published: October 2007

Note #3: Please remember to join me in my "Recipe and Tablesetting Exchange"!!.....Just click the button at the top of the page for more information!....Lots of ideas & recipes to be had!

14 comments:

mysteryhistorymom September 15, 2008 at 4:39 AM  

Oh, I truly love Martha, too! She is absolutely amazing and incredibly inspiring... Heidi, you are too, though!:) I love to watch her show "Martha Stewart Crafts". Do you ever catch that? I think it's on HGTV...

BY the way, a friend of mine sent me a copy of "Twilight!" Yippee!
Lori

Claudia Bugh September 15, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

Martha Stewart and her magazine is one reason I bake my own bread!

The pie recipe looks fabulous and the treat boxes are too cute :)

Robin Beck September 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM  

I'm so thrilled you reminded me the new season starts-I will Tivo it!

Here in Washington through Comcast we have a deal where you can watch Martha make crafts 24/7 on a special channel-It's the best thing since sliced bread!
Have a great week~
Robin

Donna @ Party Wishes September 15, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

I agree! She made homemaking a lucrative carrer and made me proud to stay home and raise my kids while also having a business out of my home.
I just finished her Black Glitter Chandelier kit yesterday for my witches tea I'm hosting for girlfriends next month. I will post a picture of it on my blog!

KatCollects September 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

Thank you so much for the template, I am going to make some for my Daughters friends. Hope you had a beautiful Monday!
Kathy

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy September 15, 2008 at 11:37 PM  

Amen, sister. : ) I love Martha too. Many years ago I taped all of Martha's shows having to do with Halloween. My kids still want to see them every Fall. : )
M.L.

Anonymous,  September 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

thanks for the reminder Heidi. I'll be right there watching with you. I was getting tired of tuning in every night at 8pm and instead of Martha reruns (which were new to me) it was the Iron Man cooking show. :)

Polka Dot Moon September 16, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

I do love to watch Martha Stewart - she's an inspiration to a lot of women! I do have to say that I think your "Craft Room/Studio" is WAY cuter than hers!

Denise

The Vintage Vagablonde September 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

What beautiful Fall festivities here today....
Just finishing up my Halloween swap goodies so I can get them in the mail. I had such fun with this swap. What is the deadline again and when are we all supposed to post our gifts?
That pie looks divine~I do not bake though..I fake and bake LOL

Fifi Flowers September 16, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

Martha is definitely one of the most amazing women! Enjoy her show!

Anne Fannie September 16, 2008 at 2:45 PM  

Hello Heida Ann, I just love Martha Stewart too. She is so inspiring and I love her magazine.
So many great recipes and ideas!
Thanks for that template. I am going to try it!
Love, Ann

Cathy September 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM  

I have to say I thought I had stumbled upon Martha's blog for a minute there. This was quite wonderful. My favorite Martha stuff is her Halloween crafts and treats. Isn't she just the best!

Thank you!

Cathy

Twyla and Lindsey September 17, 2008 at 8:08 AM  

I Love Martha and have the greatest admiration for her. Twyla

Anonymous,  September 23, 2008 at 8:12 AM  

is it me? doesn't it seem like Martha always has the cutest, furriest animals!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP