Related Posts with Thumbnails

"URBAN COUNTRY" in Autumn.....

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Perfect example of "Urban Country"....fabulous pieces of "history", set against this stark white wall.....

Hi Friends, It is September 9th, ...a very hot, dry day. Not exactly the kind of day I envision when we think & speak of "Autumn". I have been admiring & thoroughly enjoying all the Fall decorating of so many of my blogging friends,....however the idea of setting out orange pumpkins & brilliant Fall foliage, just doesn't seem quite right here at my house. Last year I thoroughly loved adding "orange" everywhere,...pumpkins of all sizes,... leaves,... mums & roses of the most amazing shade of dusty tangerine"!....However, this year it's all about a very neutral, quiet palette, which I think will work very well in my house. I am very into the "Urban Country" look,... of the comfortable aspects of country (pillows, quilts, soft rugs & upholstery), being combined with clean, uncluttered & almost contemporary pieces. The two styles combined, make for the most appealing look, one that speaks of our "heritage", but in a very fresh way!....So when it comes to Autumn decorating, I would like to continue in the same vein, simple & stark, but interesting!.....I would like to use "white pumkins" this year, along with bare branches adorned with just a few dark brown leaves barely hanging on. I would like to fill urns & baskets with huge arrangements of chocolate "mums", with creamy "hydtrangeas" spilling forth from old beige earthware crocks...& "acorns" scattered over bookcase & cabinets surfaces. And as a final touch,... use old, "cloches", to draw attention to small "autumn still-lifes"... made all the more important by being displayed under glass. This is the "vision" I have for Fall this year...."Urban Country" tweeked by Autumn's arrival......


A trio of Early American ladderback chairs,...with a clock that's lines speak of "mid-century" design. " .......


And in my house, "American Country" handicrafts, "quilts & ragballs", & "antique wood boxes".... & then the addition of very contemporary barrel lampshades!.....All work together beautifully!


My entryway....A very old Mexican bench, piled high with the softness of quilts & pillows!


"Urban Country Design" at it's best!....clean simple lines, with interesting old pieces that soften the edges & add richness to the room!.....

19 comments:

Polka Dot Moon September 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM  

Simply beautiful!! I can imagine myself in the rooms you've described and wish my house looked like that :)

Have a wonderful evening Heidi!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy September 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM  

Love your site!! I, too, love to blog AND sew. When I saw the photo of your pink velvet strawberry, it reminded me of the little red strawberry pincushion I recently made for a friend and put on my blog. Feel free to take a peek. : )

M.L.: the house of whimsy

Anonymous,  September 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

Gotta have the quilts! No matter what the decorating scheme, my house is just not considered a home without my homemade quilts. Adds such charm and is so inviting. I love yours!
Brenda

Anonymous,  September 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM  

What lovely rooms and I love your color combinations. I also love white pumpkins. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

KatCollects September 9, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

I love the color combinations and way you want to decorate for fall, so very pretty! I bought all my ingredients today for your Apple Cake, tomorrow it's me and the mixing bowls in the kitchen : )
Kathy

mysteryhistorymom September 10, 2008 at 4:04 AM  

Heidi- This makes me want to redecorate my whole house! I love all the pictures- especially the ones from your home. The Mexican bench with the pillows and quilts looks so inviting.... When can I come for a visit?:-) Lori

Anonymous,  September 10, 2008 at 7:22 AM  

I'm with you, Heidi. I love the combination of styles - they work so well together and are so reflective of comforting calmness.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda September 10, 2008 at 7:36 AM  

Just beautiful! Absolutely love the bench and every little accessory adorning it! I doesn' feel like autumn here either. It is hot, but not dry! It is so humid and sticky, you can't hardly breath outside! And there isn't enough hair product in the world to prevent my hair from drooping and frizzing in this weather! LOL! ~Rhonda :)

Rue September 10, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

Good morning Heidi :)

I'm sorry Fall isn't there yet. I hope you get a touch of it soon!

Those pictures are beautiful. Very clean and serene.

Hugs,
rue

Unknown September 10, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

I love the leather chair against the white walls...beautiful!

Annie

hope you cool off out there!

Anonymous,  September 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM  

Truly elegant and classic country at the same time. The country part is simple in your colors and design.. In short, great job. Orange and bright colors, not an option. Nice.

Hugs, Jeanne

Robin Beck September 10, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

Heidi,
I love your Urban Country home...I call my style "Sophisticated Country"- It's very much like yours. :) Warm, cozy, simple-Not too over done~
Thanks for sharing,
Robin~♥

Unknown September 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM  

I noticed a few trees starting to change here in MA, and today we had nice cool weather, but I'm still not ready to put out the fall decor. Probably next week for me!
I love what you are doing w/ the Urban Country. Very "now" in a country way!

Louise September 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM  

It's very beautiful. I love it.

I don't do a lot of decorating (mostly a time thing), but my taste is eclectic, and I love so many different things. Your vignettes are among them.

I am DYING to see your white pumpkins and bare branches and chocolate mums.

Anne Fannie September 10, 2008 at 10:49 PM  

Hello Heidi, your home is beautiful. Its been so hot here that I just can't seem to pull out the fall decorations yet.
Love, Ann

Donna September 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

Beautiful! I love your decorating. And I love white pumpkins too!

Hugs,
Donna

Donna @ Party Wishes September 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

I love the flowers! WOW!. I'm having fun collecting things for the Halloween swap. I'll be sending out the package on Monday!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs September 13, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

How beautiful...the last picture of the entry coming into the larger room is just what I vision for my future cottage or cabin! Just divine! Such good energy...thanks for sharing.

Katy September 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM  

WOW...i LOVE your entryway Heidi!!! Beautiful! The bench and quilts and pillows....LOVE IT!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP