Related Posts with Thumbnails

Artsy Mama's "Autumn Gathering Home Party".......

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

This morning we are all gathering together for an "Autumn Home Party" over at Kari's blog "Artsy Mama"!...... My beautiful cake is all baked & frosted..... & ready for company! ( recipe at the end of this post)


My table is set.....

The decorations are up.......



And I am here at home waiting for you all to arrive!.....Let us all visit each other on this fine Autumn day! Thank you Kari for being our hostess!...Here's to Autumn!!

Note: Recipe for Country Living's "Maple Walnut Cake"......

INGREDIENTS


2.5 cup(s) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
.5 teaspoon(s) salt
.5 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
.5 cup(s) butter, softened
.5 cup(s) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1.5 cup(s) pure maple syrup
2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
.5 cup(s) water
1 cup(s) finely chopped walnuts
6 walnut halves

Maple-Sugar Frosting

DIRECTIONS
Make the batter: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a small brush, lightly coat two 9-inch cake pans with softened butter or vegetable-oil cooking spray. Dust with flour and tap out any excess. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl using a mixer set on high speed, beat the butter and sugar for 1 minute. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat for 1 minute after each addition. Add 1 cup maple syrup and vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the water and ending with the dry ingredients. Gently stir in the walnuts.
Bake the cake: Divide the batter equally between the two prepared pans and spread evenly. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until a tester inserted into the center of each cake layer comes out clean -- about 30 minutes. Cool in the cake pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the cake layers from the sides of the pans and invert the layers onto the wire rack to cool completely.
Make the cake garnishes: Lightly coat a sheet pan with cooking spray and arrange the walnut halves about 3 to 4 inches apart. In a small saucepan, heat the remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup over medium-high heat. Cook the syrup until it reaches hard-crack stage (300 degrees F), or when a drop placed in a glass of cold water becomes hard and brittle. Remove from heat and carefully spoon boiled syrup over the walnuts, allowing it to run in streams around the sheet pan. Set aside to let cool completely.
Frost the cake: Use a serrated knife to level the mounded sides of the cake layers, if necessary. Line the edges of a cake plate with 3-inch-wide strips of waxed or parchment paper and place a cake layer, trimmed side down, on top. Place 1 cup of Maple-Sugar Frosting on top of the layer and spread evenly. Place the second layer, trimmed side down, on the first and cover the top and sides of the cake with the remaining icing. Decorate the top of the cake with candied walnuts and the hardened maple sugar. Remove paper strips and serve. Store at room temperature for up to 4 days.

Serves 12.....


27 comments:

Stacey October 23, 2008 at 4:15 AM  

Oh I missed this one. How fun and how pretty!

Trish October 23, 2008 at 5:55 AM  

Heidi,

Everytime you post a recipe with a pic, my mouth starts to water. I'm thinking one of these times I'll attempt to make the recipe instead of just drooling over your pics... :)
Thanks for the inspiration!

have a lovely October 23, 2008 at 6:35 AM  

oh my this looks delicious and my mouth is watering!!! must.make.this.cake!

Tardevil October 23, 2008 at 6:59 AM  

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious. Think I'll make the icing! :O)

Anonymous,  October 23, 2008 at 7:10 AM  

What a wonderful party! I am on my way right over!

Kimberly (Seashells and Silver)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey October 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM  

Heidi, everything looks beautiful. And I'm crazy about that cake plate .

Anonymous,  October 23, 2008 at 8:41 AM  

What a scrumptious looking cake! Love the table decor too! Please stop on by my blog too.

Cessan October 23, 2008 at 9:48 AM  

Yummy cake! Loved to sit down at your table!

Anonymous,  October 23, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

That cake looks to DIE FOR! Your table is so pretty and I love the picture of your house in all the pretty trees!

Anonymous,  October 23, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

What great pictures and that cake looks delish!

Elizabeth October 23, 2008 at 3:03 PM  

Yummy! Beautiful fall foliage outside your window!
Elizabeth

Kari October 23, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

Oh my...YUM!!!! Thanks for the wonderful treats and gorgeous photos. I will definitely have to try that recipe.
happy halloween!
Kari

Anonymous,  October 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM  

What a lovely, lovely display of photos in the true spirit of an ~Autumn Gathering~. Thanks for letting me stop by - I have had a wonderful time. Happy Halloween.

Chris Worthy October 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM  

There's cake? Now it's a party! :)

Sherri October 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

Yum. The table is beautiful and the cake looks divine.

TIG October 23, 2008 at 8:07 PM  

Your lovely photos have made me excited that it's Fall all over again! The cake looks amazing, and when I feel adventurous, may even try the recipe . . .

Hope you're having a splendid week!

xo

Leslie October 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM  

Your table setting is just beautiful. Stop by my blog I have an award for you!

Tracy October 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM  

Hi, Heidi! Your fall posts have been sooo delicious lately--and here's another one! Thanks for the recipe too...mmm...Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Kristen Pare October 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM  

Beautiful photos! Happy Autumn Gathering! Please stop by and say Hi,
Kris

Ribbonwood Cottage October 24, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

Good morning Heidi Ann, love your post today, and I am here for a visit! I like how you used that orange quilt...it looks amazing, that cake looks delicious...for breakfast with coffee!!! Hahaha, I will certainly have to make this one!
Blessings,
Debbie

Anonymous,  October 24, 2008 at 8:11 AM  

My mother loves walnuts. I should make this for her. Thanks for sharing. The photos are gorgeous.

Rhondi October 24, 2008 at 11:54 AM  

Hi Heidi
Everything looks so prefect. Thanks for theparty. I'm having a giveaway so I hope you'll stop by.
Hugs, Rhondi

Anonymous,  October 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

I was looking at Casabellachic and she has assigned partners for the stocking swap. I am so excited, that we are partners!!!!!!!!

Cottage Rose October 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM  

Hello Heidi; That cake is to die for so so yummy looking. My mouth is watering. lol Love you pumpkins so creative. Did you paint them or carve them?

Have a great weekend.

hugs;
Alaura

Schotzy October 25, 2008 at 8:11 AM  

I missed it too. I love your party! Everything was perfect!

GARAGE SALE GAL October 26, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

Hi Heidi,
Your Autumn party was so pretty and thanks for sharing it. The recipe/cake looks so YUMMY...I have found some great recipes on the posts.
Deb

Fifi Flowers October 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

That cake looks DIVINE! YUM! Lovely party!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP