Related Posts with Thumbnails

"How Do You Manage?"...."

Thursday, July 7, 2011

I have been so busy working lately,... that I am forgetting that Summer has arrived. Well not actually forgetting, since the weather has been uncharacteristically hot & muggy here in California...but I'm sure you know what I mean. Too much work & not enough "enjoying"!

So my question to all of you is this.....
"How do you manage work & play?"

I have a tendency to think I must be finished with all my work, before allowing myself time for my own projects!....which of course is so silly?.....With a growing etsy shop, I "want" to be busy with orders, so learning to manage work is really important....but how?

So once again,... how do all of you manage?

* Do you get up really early & work till noon, allowing the rest of the day to be your own?
* Do you work only certain days of the week?
*Do you simply, yet successfully mesh working,... with your other obligations during each day, feeling like you are getting to everything you want to?

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm doing?
It seems I work around the clock, squeezing in the gardening chores, laundry & keeping house,.... around stenciling & sewing pillows,... or working on decorating plans for clients. It's always a balancing act, but one where most of the time I feel slightly behind...never quite accomplishing everything I would like to?

It is late in the day & I am a bit tired tonight, but am truly interested in any suggestions that you may have.
I know I will find a solution. Taking on less,.... & occasionally saying "no" may be helpful....however, I do enjoy all that I take on, I would just like it all to run a little smoother. Am I making sense?

Thank you for indulging me....
Your over-worked, yet happy friend...

heidi
xo



5 comments:

christine donee July 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

ugh. this LA weather is no fun right now..

I sort of play it day by day? week by week? If I know I have a bit more schoolwork to do, then perhaps I'll get up a bit earlier than normal to squeeze in some fun time here and there?

Honestly.. if you figure out the secret.. let me know! Cause my schedule.. or "managing".. is sort of all over the place.

onlymehere July 8, 2011 at 5:15 AM  

Being a morning person I do my work in the morning. I'm just not productive until I've showered and gotten ready for the day. After work then I allow myself time for creativity and then I work in the fun stuff also later in the day if time permits after making dinner, tending grandbabies, etc. I just take the "me time" when I can get it at night. I find though that my work has to have regular hours and I've told my family that I'm unavailable at those times or I'd never get anything done. Hope that helps.

cakegirl July 8, 2011 at 6:12 AM  

Boy, do I ever identify with what you just described. Since I am a morning person, I like to get going on the least favorite jobs early. I try to leave my evenings free for my family. It is a very difficult balancing act.

Sherri July 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM  

Heidi, I work a 54-56 hr. week at my out of the house job and then I work on some projects for my etsy site whenever I can. I think it is very hard to balance working from home and doing things for yourself. I think I would set some hours that would work for doing the etsy site things and then keep a few hours a day for yourself or chores around the house. That would seem to be a good balance so you don't get burned out. Good luck! HUGS!

Kathleen Grace July 19, 2011 at 6:10 AM  

If you figure this out Heidi, let me know. I am currently working on several projects, design, web page building, etc., that leave me little time to do the fun things, like create just because I want to, or blog about anything meaningful. Summer is whizzing past and I barely see the outdoors. Working from home seems to mean working long hours and few days off. Your post could have been written by me. Handmade takes so much time, and I think we often undervalue our products, not taking into account the big bite that creating them takes out of our lives. Balancing housework and business and everything else isn't for sissies!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP