Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday Morning & Random Thoughts......

Monday, May 19, 2008

Happy Monday to you all....I am so happy to be blogging this morning. We have had so much going on the last few days, I haven't had time to write!....Here in Southern California it has been "crazy hot", temperatures in the high 90's!...I figure since there is not a whole lot you can do, I might as well welcome summer with open arms & enjoy it! My blog consists of a variety of summer thoughts so bear with me!.... Yesterday we spent most of the day outside, on the patio, yard or pool. We were celebrating my grandson Andrew's 4th birthday, & what a day it was! Between momma & daddy, both sets of grandparents & both his "aunties", it turned out to be a day to remember! With a constant supply of adoring adults, lots of presents & a blue " Cookie Monster" cake, life for our Andrew just couldn't have gotten much better.. ......Now on another note....It is Monday morning, & once again a wonderful recipe is in order! Today it comes from the incomparable Martha Stewart! She has always been, & always will be one of my favorites! In my mind she has done more than anyone when it comes to elevating "homemaking" to a level of incredible beauty & respectibility!.....I have met her on a couple different occasions, & both times she was sweet & very real, not at all the primadona, her critics make her out to be. I remember years ago, meeting her with my husband & two small daughters,... she chatted with Holly & Mallory, commenting on their outfits & giggling with them, oblivious that a line of impatient fans were watching. And on another occasion, my girlfriend & I had gone to hear Martha speak at a autumn luncheon. There also was a short period before, where she was signing her most recent book. Due to time restraints I'm sure, we were asked to simply have her sign one copy, keeping our comments to a minimum. Trying to obey the rules, I only gave her one book to sign, even though I had also purchased a couple for my teenage girls for gifts. She turned to me, asking to sign & reaching for the other books. I of course told her that the ladies sponsoring the event had made it clear it was to be only one autograph per person! She winked at me, shaking her head in disbelief & then went on to write lovely little messages in both my daughters books. While doing so I mentioned that after her speech & lunch, my friend & I would be spending the afternoon antiquing. She asked where we were going, what we were looking for, etc....and then whispered to me that she would give anything to be going with us & ditching the rest of the afternoon!..She smiled & we both ended up giggling!...What a great moment!.....Anyway, I am getting a bit sidetracked!.......the recipe I am posting today is for Martha's "Tomato Tart". Since summer is approaching & tomato season is almost here, it is one you will use & enjoy all summer! It is easy & incredibly delicious!!!!....... My next thought is Ralph Lauren's new line of linens & accessories for the home appropriately named "American Summer"! Have you seen it?...The epitome of "Summertime" it is!!!.......You must go to his website & watch the video....so, so pretty!!! I included a few pictures of some of my favorite products from the new line, ....so go check it out!......I also happened across a picture of the Ralph Lauren Polo shop in Southhampton, New York. It is one of the most charming stores ever!....Last October, our family was spending a few days in Manhattan. We decided to rent a car & drive out to the Hamptons for the day. We had never been, so were very excited. It was late in the month, nearing Halloween. Farmstands were brimming with pumpkins, the temperatures were chilly & the lovely, old streets of Southhampton were simply exquistite! To say it is a pretty area, just doesn't do it justice! While puttering around the village, we came upon Ralph Lauren's store, which is actually two small cottage. You feel as if you are entering someone's private home.... There was no one around, being off season & all.....Unbelieveably wonderful! I was in my element! If you have a chance to go, take it!.....I can't wait to go back!......Well, I think I have covered everything for today...See what happens when I skip a few days?, very "random thoughts"!..... Have a great Monday!..............

Martha Stewart...one of my favorite pictures!...How could you not look pretty with all those gorgeous lilacs!

Martha's "Tomato Tart"....... so good!


This quilt is part of Ralph Lauren's "American Summer" collection! I think I need it!!!!!


And "crisp white linens".......so classic!...


Ralph Lauren's shop in Southhampton, NY.......I could just move in!!!!!


Martha Stewart's "Tomato Tart"Serves 8
1 head garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1/2 Pate Brisee (Pie Dough)
2 ounces Italian fontina cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 pounds firm but ripe tomatoes (4 medium), cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap to enclose garlic in foil, and place on a small baking sheet. Bake until soft and golden brown and the tip of a knife easily pierces the flesh, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven; set aside. Raise oven temperature to 450 degrees. When garlic is cool enough to handle, using either your hands or the dull end of a large knife, squeeze the cloves out of their skins and into a small bowl; mash with a fork, and set aside. Discard the papery skins.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/8-inch-thick circle, about 12 inches in diameter. With a dry pastry brush, brush off the excess flour; roll the dough around the rolling pin, and lift it over a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Line the pan with the dough, pressing it into the corners. Trim the dough so that it is flush with the edges; transfer to the refrigerator to chill, about 30 minutes.
Spread roasted garlic evenly on the chilled crust. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Arrange the tomatoes on top of the cheese, in an overlapping circular pattern. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer to oven. Reduce temperature to 400 degrees. and bake until crust is golden and tomatoes are soft but still retain their shape, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool for 20 minutes, and serve warm.

3 comments:

Tonya May 19, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

Whew! LOL What an enjoyable read : ) I loved hearing about how you met Martha Stewart, I also love her, and think she got a raw deal when they sent her to jail. If she would have been a man, she would have gotten a slap on the wrist! That whole situation peeved me to no end! Anyway, I am glad to hear she is really a lovely person.

It sounds like your grandson's birthday was a blast! 4 is such a great age : )

mommyholly May 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM  

I love love love Martha hehe!!!! :) And can we make that tomato tart ASAP?! Yummmmmmm!

Carolyne March 5, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

What a fun post to read!
Isn't it true, that most people are truly just lovely and sweet when you greet them with the same?
Please enjoy your sunshine for me also......we woke up to another ❄snowy❆ morning❄ here in the Northwest!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP