Related Posts with Thumbnails

Carolyne Roehm's "Apple Cake Doris".....

Friday, August 22, 2008


Hello Friends,....."Friday" has found it's way back to us once again. Even though this may still be only the 22nd day of August, my attentions are focused towards the coming "Autumn"!....."Fabric-wise", I am finding myself migrating to "small dark prints & plaids",....In the garden, it is the "cool weather crops" that are needing to be planted.... & in the kitchen, I already have a list of "fall recipes", I am dying to try!......So today I am sharing designer
Carolyne Roehm's "Apple Cake Doris". I have made it many times before, with amazingly delicious results!!....You must try it!...& maybe this weekend!...It is one of those cakes that can be enjoyed from breakfast,... to afternoon tea... & even as a late night snack!.....I have "zucchini breads" in the oven as I write this post, but in a few hours, "Apple Cake Doris" will be filling this house with the scents of "Fall"!..... Join me,... gather together some tart apples & mix up a couple of these cakes!.....Is there really any better way to welcome in the weekend?....


APPLE CAKE DORIS:
Makes one large bundt cake or 2 small loaves

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
2 cups (about 2 large) tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½ inch dice

Preheat oven to 350° F. Using 1 tablespoon oil, grease a tube pan or two mini loaf pans measuring 5 ¾ x 3 x 2 ½ inches.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and set aside.
In a large bowl, blend sugar and remaining 1 cup of oil. Add eggs and milk and beat until well combined.
Add reserved dry ingredients to sugar mixture and stir until just blended. Fold in apples. Makes a very thick batter.
Press batter evenly into prepared pan(s) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert pan, place serving plate on top and turn out cake.

APPLE CIDER GLAZE

1 cup apple cider
¼ cup butter, melted
2 cups powdered sugar

In a saucepan, simmer apple cider over medium heat until reduced by half, about 10-15 minutes.
Add powdered sugar to cider and stir.
Remove pan from heat and whisk in melted butter. Cool slightly then pour over cake.

Note: Concerning my "Very Vintage Halloween Swap"....I am trying to assemble all of the participants addresses....I believe I have gotten in touch with of most of you, however am having a difficult time contacting Debbie, @ "From A Creative Heart".....If you read this Debbie, or are someone who knows her, would you please let me know....I would greatly appreciate it!.....And remember, there are still a few days left to sign up!!!!

14 comments:

Louise August 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM  

I'm not really into cakes. But then I saw "Apple Cider Glaze," and that was it. Have to try it. I'll take it to a church potluck and maintain my "star status!" (Always looking for new ways to do that.)

Polka Dot Moon August 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM  

It looks delicious! I'll have to give that recipe a try :)

Happy Friday!

Anonymous,  August 22, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

That looks soooo good! I think I packed ten pounds on just gazing longingly at it...
Brenda

mysteryhistorymom August 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

Heidi- This sounds heavenly! Unfortunately, the summer weather has returned here.:( I will have to try this recipe another day. I have been meaning to write to you but have fallen asleep early every night this week! I will write to you this evening.:-)

I mailed your bracelets yesterday!:-) Lori

threesidesofcrazy August 22, 2008 at 5:16 PM  

Hi Heidi,
I'm not sure why they'd be returned, oh well you can reach me at tamyandthesgt@sbcglobal.net. By the way this cake looks amazing!
Thanks,
Tamy

Cottage Rose August 22, 2008 at 5:36 PM  

Wow I can smell the cake already, it looks so yummy. I will have to try it some day, to hot to turn my oven on yet, even with the air on. But when it gets cooler watch out oven we are talking over time. lol; thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Hugs;
Alaura

Sherry August 22, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

MMMMmmmm! Yummy! I love baking apple and pumpkin stuff in the fall!! This looks so good!

:-)
Sherry

Unknown August 22, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

This cake sounds AWESOME and fairly easy for me, a non-cook! I'm going to try it!

Tracy August 23, 2008 at 5:41 AM  

De-lish, Heidi! Please pass me a slice! ;o) Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...it's perfect for fall! In little ways I'm turning towards fall too...Happy weekend, my friend ((BIG HUGS))

BailiwickStudio August 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

mmmm yum! I'm looking forward to Fall - I keep wanting to change my summer blog banner! I just have to find the perfect leaf photo. The days are getting a little cooler, so that's a good sign. ::Jill

Anonymous,  August 23, 2008 at 8:21 AM  

Heidi, I am ready to start a fall feeling around here too. I love cooking and baking so much. thank you for your recipe. It sounds delicious and not hard to make. I am looking forward to the H-Swap

Hugs, Jeanne

Rue August 23, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Hi sweet Heidi :)

That cake looks divine!

I've been busy catching up with you. I laughed when I read PeeChee folders. You're the only one that remembers those besides me, I think :)

All the Christmas things are beautiful and make me yearn for cooler weather.

Have a beautiful weekend :)
hugs,
rue

Anonymous,  August 23, 2008 at 1:18 PM  

Heidi, you always tempt me with beautiful and delicious goodies. I will definitely try this. It just sounds perfect for autumn.

Unknown August 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

I stopped back to see this recipe, I love that apple cake recipe. Apple picking season is just around the corner, and this looks wonderful. I just love your blog, I have been looking around and each post is filled with inspiration. Karen

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP