Related Posts with Thumbnails

Remembering..."Back To School"......

Monday, August 18, 2008

Can you simply imagine this exquisite structure, being your school!!???...Bright red & beautiful!!!...The "schoolhouse of my dreams"!....

"Good Morning" & "Happy Monday" to you all!.....Even though Labor Day is a couple weeks away,... & very warm weather is still with us,......it is once again, "Back-To-School" time! I have always loved this time of year!....Even as a child, I loved it!!....In our family, it meant my mother was busy sewing schooldresses, often made from dark little prints with crisp white collars.....It meant the difficult decision of a new "lunch box", which again was something to be carefully concidered?....Should it be "traditional plaid" or maybe sport a "T.V. or cartoon character"??....Along with "Back To School" was the prospect of a new pair of shoes, something sturdy for the walk to school, usually ending with the purchase of a pair of "saddle shoes (always the tan/brown!) the classic favorite of my mother?....And although equipped with the knowledge of how this "shoe shopping was to go...it NEVER hindered me from "begging terribly" for the "maryjanes" that I simply coveted, but rarely got......And last, but not least were "new school supplies"!...."PeeChee notebooks, lined tablets, freshly sharpened #2 pencils & of course a brand-new Pink Pearl eraser!....Could life get much better in my world!!!

So pristine & lovely.....

The only part of this "Back To School" scenario that was not up to my liking, was the fact that I went to school in a normal suburban, early 60's designed "school"...not a "little, old-fashioned red schoolhouse"........I LOVED the idea of walking to one of these simple structures,... entering, sitting down to an old desk & "learning" in one room!.....I'm sure it stemmed primarily from the "Little House" or "Caddie Woodlawn or any other "pioneer-ish" book I could lay my hands on! Oh! how I wanted that life!.....And then was only reinforced with shows like "Lassie" & even years later with the "Waltons"!.......Well, as much as I truly did love the onset of Autumn & the "back to school" experience...the "dream" of the "one room, little red schoolhouse" always & forever escaped me!.....So to this day, they are still something I am very drawn to & find truly charming!....In tribute to this wonderful, nostalgic time of year....I have found & am posting a few of the prettiest "red schoolhouses"!......I hope they bring back the sweetest "schoolday" memories for you too!......They certainly do for me........Your friend...Heidi XO Hidden back & nestled in the trees, this little schoolhouse is just waiting for those eagar children to arrive!.....
A "little red schoolhouse" on a chilly Autumn day......

NOTE: Just a little reminder, There is only one more week left to sign up for my "Very Vintage Halloween Swap"!!!.....and I would just LOVE to have you join me!!! Read all about it, by going to the button on the right side of my page!...& feel free to borrow the button for your own blog as well! Thank you to all the ladies who have already signed up to participate!.....And for any of you that enjoy a charmingly "spooky" Halloween!...it may be just the ticket to welcome in this wonderful season!....

13 comments:

Louise August 18, 2008 at 8:32 AM  

I loved school as a child. I went to a 2-room school, but it wasn't cute like these.

Since my oldest daughter started Kindergarten last year, I have hated school. She loves it, but I hate the schedule (it totally puts a cramp in my busy life) and hate not having her home.

However, this post, with the pretty schoolhouses reminds me of my childhood fancies which were created similarly to yours, especially "Little House." And my girls are developing the same ones for the same reasons.

Lovely post.

Gone August 18, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

Love the schoolhouses...Thanks for sharing Heidi!!

~Blessings,
Jan

LBP August 18, 2008 at 9:31 AM  

What a lovely post! I too, still love back to school. I always have to buy a couple of notebooks and pencils, just for me. Remember the plaid dresses that were so popular for back to school? That would have been waaaay back in the 1960's. LOL

Blessings

Linda

Anonymous,  August 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

I always thought it would be really neat to live in an old schoolhouse like that or even an old church. Your post reminded me of that desire. Thanks for sharing it. D~~~~

Anonymous,  August 18, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

Where on earth did you find such lovely old-fashioned structures? I was just in Target buying a lampshade. Being as my kids have been out of the nest for years, I did not realize I was walking into a war zone. It did not, unfortunately, evoke for me the serenity of your sweet school houses. It was sheer mayhem!
Brenda

Anonymous,  August 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM  

Heidi, I believe we might have been similar schoolgirls. I loved getting all new school supplies, and I love looking at pictures made on the first day of school.

I was enthralled with the Little House series of books and Anne of Green Gables.

Such warm and pleasant memories.

Anonymous,  August 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM  

I, too, have always been charmed by schoolhouses because my favorite uncle used to tell me wonderful stories from his chilhood about his one room schoolhouse!

BailiwickStudio August 19, 2008 at 7:28 AM  

I remember visiting a one-room school house in a restored 19th century village in Indiana - it was called a "loud school" because the children didn't have slates and would have to recite instead! It wasn't a cute red schoolhouse, though - it was made of rough hewn logs. Schools have certainly changed, haven't they! ::Jill

Anonymous,  August 19, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

I would take tests again if I could be in that schoolhouse. I always thought I was born too late in time...I love those big dresses and farming and making everything by hand.
I recently found your blog and am enjoying it.
Carrie
(what is the gadget you used for the pic/links to your etsy shop?)
Thanks!

Unknown August 19, 2008 at 8:59 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  August 19, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

Hello Heidi, I love this post! I too remember the excitement of new stationery and shoes at the beginning of term and the battle I had with my mother over a pair of two-tone pink and white golf-style shoes one year!! Those beautiful school rooms must be unique to the US. There are certainly none so cute over here. My early years at school were in a permanent portacabin style school!! Although it did have wooden steps up to it which made a lovely sound when we ran up. Anyway, I am BURSTING to THANK YOU for the most BEAUTIFUL cushion that you so carefully customised and sent over to me in Scotland. I LOVE, LOVE LOVE IT!! It shall have a very special place in my home and I'll treasure it always. Thank you so much Heidi, I still can't believe I won it!
Love, Carolxx

Katy August 19, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

OH!!! How I wish I could even NOW be a teacher in one of those little red school houses!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOO SWEET! I absolutely LOVE them!

And i miss saddle shoes!!!

Anonymous,  August 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM  

I'd love to be a part of the swap, if you still have room for one more... please let me know if I am lucky and "in" or not. Thank you!
xoxo
Karen

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP