Related Posts with Thumbnails

The "Ultimate Homebody".....

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A few weeks ago, after my daughter & I had decided a quick trip to Target was in order,..... my grandson Andrew responded by telling us that "he just liked staying home the best!"....That's exactly how he said it,....Very politely, but very seriously.....So we took pity on him & stayed home.

A few days later my daughters were at school, my husband at work & we were having an "Andrew/Nini" afternoon.....We were sitting together chatting,... about important issues only grandsons & nini's understand....& the subject of "enjoying being home" came up once again. We agreed that "home" is where we both prefer to spend our days....I looked at that little face, with it's furrowed brow,....absorbing every word I said, & told Andrew that we were what some people would call "homebodies". I explained what homebodies were, & we agreed that yes indeed....we were a couple of "true-blue homebodies". Andrew was just delighted to have a "label" that we could both embrace!.... & has continued to remind me "daily" of our "title"!

This conversation got me thinking....like my grandchild, I too have been someone who preferred being "home" ever since I was a small child?....I am not at all "adventurous"!...O.K. maybe during the bright morning hours I think an exotic vacation somewhere sounds fabulous, but by late afternoon, when shadows are lengthening & the day's light weaking, I began feeling like an orphan if I do not have home to return to!... Of course a "day shopping", especially visiting boutiques in NYC or antiquing in Orange, CA. is wondrous fun for a day or so....but then I have had my fill, & once again feel that yearning for home!....

"Being home" is more than just creating a lovely environment for my family to live.....It is truly experiencing the "moment by moment doings" here in our little house.....I like to "tidy my house" ( a bit of dust though is perfectly acceptable!)...I like to hear the "hum" of the washing machine & dryer.....I love the beauty of a "sprinkler spurting water", against the early morning rays of sunshine....love "clothes on the line".....love something "baking in the oven" & the aroma it creates....I love to "putter in the yard"...get my "hands dirty" in the garden....I love to create, & craft & sew..... I love to "be cozy" in the evening, crawling into my "own bed".... but most of all I like the "familiar voices" I hear throughout the day....those of the people I love, that I hold most dear.

So in closing, I guess Andrew & I are "cut from the same cloth"...we are, without doubt, "homebodies". As a grandparent we look for those similarities that tie the generations together....I think I have found mine & Andrew's.....& it just makes me smile......

18 comments:

Liz May 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

I can TOTALLY relate.

Paula Bee May 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

Very sweet! I think wanting to just be home is the ultimate compliment. You have created a warm inviting safe environment. I think that is what we are all striving for. Love,
Paula Bee

the wild raspberry May 14, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

what a nice little story you have shared! you must have a very comfortable and warm home.
have a great day.
chasity

Stacey May 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

I love this post. You just described my son and I to a T.

PatQ May 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

I am also a homebody. I love my little vacations but I'm always ready to go home. It feels the best there.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie May 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

What a wonderful conversation with your grandson. I am also a homebody, and I really liked the way you expressed it in this post. laurie

Peggy May 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

I totally agree. I would rather stay home. Small doses of being away are ok but after a few days I am itching to just be in a familiar place with the things and people I love around me.

Anonymous,  May 15, 2009 at 4:06 AM  

If this is a photo of your house I understand that you liked to stay at home.

BailiwickStudio May 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM  

I'm cut from that cloth too! Here I am in NY visiting my precious grandsons, and still a part of me longs to be home. ::Jill

Sherri May 15, 2009 at 6:53 AM  

I totally agree with the stay home stuff! I love being home. Vacations are nice but I'm always anxious to get back home. Have a great weekend!

Sara May 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

I LOVE being at home. Love it! And, how cute for you and Andrew to have these great memories!

Holly May 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

What a lovely post. I can totally relate. The older I get the more I just want to stay home....I find it comforting from the hustle.

The Old Parsonage May 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM  

I'm probably related to you too. When we go on vacation, I secretly wish we were at home:)

Enjoy your weekend!
Leann

Carol May 16, 2009 at 5:17 AM  

What a sweet post! I just retired and I'm really enjoying being home to tidy, putter,and nest.

Carolyne May 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

I love your post today. Learning to really *be* at home and be comfortable creating your own environment is a skill too many people never learn. I love the fact that you are nurturing your little grandson to appreciate his quiet spirit and love of home.
((hugs)) Carolyne

Unknown May 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

What a great post, Nini! LOL I love talking to children, they have such great insights!

Audrey May 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

Thank you for putting into words what I feel. I love my home and am very content to 'vacation' at home!

Janelle May 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

I love hearing about your "Andrew/Nini" conversations! He sounds like such a precious little guy.

I completely know what you mean about needing a home to return to in the afternoons when the shadows lengthen. Mornings can be adventurous, but afternoons and evenings are for home.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP