Related Posts with Thumbnails

"Thanksgiving Day"....

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Day is almost here once again. For our family, like many of yours as well, it will be a cozy day at home with our immediate family. Not a houseful of guests, just those I hold most dear.
This year, my daughters & I are all cooking. Mallory is in charge of the stuffing, Holly the pies & potatoes & I will handle the turkey & fresh cranberries. I cannot tell you how much it means to me that our girls will be sharing the kitchen with me.
I also have plans for a lovely table. I am using my Spode "Thanksgiving Day" brown transfer- ware plates,... that years ago I found while antiquing. I remember them being $7 each, which at the time was crazy expensive. But with the encouraging words of my friend Angela, I did indeed purchase these gorgeous plates,....never ever regretting my decision.
I will also be adding small arrangements of"plum colored mums & deep pink peonies", which will look amazing with small chocolate turkeys running among them! The color-scheme of warm browns & deep plums is a bit unusual, but very Fall-ish non-the-less!
The family will of course be watching the Macy's Day Parade, which is a yearly tradition! I grew up watching it, with the excitement of seeing the "true" Santa" at the parade's end!....And as all traditions are, now my grandson is the "believer", sitting on the edge of the sofa as the sleigh & reindeer make their appearance....very wide-eyed & filled with wonder.
Thanksgiving is such an immensely personal day. Each of us have our own memories of Thanksgiving past,....mine being frosty, dark days, spent in a warm kitchen, with delicious scents wafting through the house & my mother cooking all day long, (which if you knew my mom was not the norm! :)....We ate early & then spent the afternoon relaxing in front of a fire, anticipating the upcoming weeks.
This year, even though we have been married 29 years, we are starting new traditions, since for many years we had Thanksgiving dinner at relative's homes. But now our celebrating is here at our own sweet home, with our girls & grandson. I love that we have three generations under one roof ( just like the Walton's, ....a family I so wanted to emulate!). I love that we are healthy & happy. I love that even though the last couple of years have brought a few challenges, we are all closer & more appreciative than ever.
I thank God for the blessings I have been given.
Wishing you a day of thanksgiving......
Your friend,
heidi
xo

3 comments:

Sherri November 24, 2010 at 5:11 AM  

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Heidi!! How wonderful that you will all be together for your meal, cooking together and just enjoying each others company! Our family to has alot to be thankful for, our new grand baby is on the way, we have made it through another year, our health and just that we can all celebrate this wonderful holiday season together! You have a fabulous day and your flowers and table sound absolutely gorgeous!! Enjoy!

cakegirl November 24, 2010 at 6:07 AM  

And my table will be set with Johnson Bros. turkey china. Heidi, we were twins in a former life. Happy Thanksgiving!
Love you,
Y

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP