Related Posts with Thumbnails

"And the Stockings Were Hung".....

Friday, December 19, 2008

Isn't the tradition of "Christmas Stockings" lovely!......The idea of a "simple sock" hung from the mantle on Christmas Eve.... & then filled in the night by Santa is just the most enchanting thought!.....Stockings, in our home.... & I'm sure in yours, are almost more "revered" than the actual gifts under the tree!

I love to fill them with the most wonderful little surprises!....My mother, who by her very nature tends to be a bit "snobbish" & very proud of it.... has always emphasized that at Christmastime, each & every piece tucked in a stocking is never to be anything but "exquisite"......As a child, I received stockings where Barbie outfits had been carefully taken from their box.... & each article of clothing, pair of shoes & hat were wrapped in the tiniest bits of tissue & satin ribbon. If humble underwear was needed, it was not just a pair of standard white cotton, but instead something that quite resembled a "frilly confection"!....& candy was never anything you saw in your everyday life.....oh! no!....Instead it was the "food of fairies"....delicious chocolate Santas wrapped in shiny foil, gold coins in mesh bags (which later become shoe bags for my Barbies!) & tiny pieces of hard candy, never seen at any other time of year but Christmas!

As a mother myself, I have indeed kept up this tradition.....It needent be "expensive or elitest"....Just "imaginative"!...My mother had no money to speak of...but oh she did have an imagination & the ability to sew!...and with that made our stockings truly what "dreams are made of"!....


So this year, even though money is tight,.... I will be making up the most darling stockings....and I (Oh! I mean Santa!) will be filling them with the most wondrous contents ever!....& on Christmas morning the stocking's tiny treasures will inspire others to continue this tradition.








12 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage December 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

Love all of them! Especially the numbered ones! Thanks for sharing!

Amy

KatCollects December 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

Heidi,
I love your story about the stockings. As a child I can always remember my Brother, Sister, and I getting up at like 3 in the morning and sneaking in to get our stockings. We would look at everything then sneak back to our beds hoping my Mom wouldn't hear us, that was so much fun! I hope you and your loved ones have a peaceful and beautiful Christmas!
Hugs,
Kathy

mysteryhistorymom December 19, 2008 at 6:43 PM  

Heidi- Sweetie, You should write a book! I can only aspire to fill stockings with such flair and fancy.:) How you do inspire! Lori

Elise December 19, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

Is that first picture your home? Breath-taking...Just beautiful!! Love all the other photos also.
Elise

onlymehere December 20, 2008 at 7:15 AM  

Wonderful post! I tend to just dump in candy but I think I'll go hunt for a special surprise candy or two!

Unknown December 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

The gifts in our stockings were always wrapped carefully, even the Chapstick! The candy was always special, too, stuff we only saw at Christmas. And there was always a popcorn ball in the toe!

sweetmemorymakingmom December 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

Your stocking post is very inspiring. I have always loved stockings. My mother always put pretties in them. But as I grew up they kinda lost there place. This year their stocking are almost full. But I think next year, I am going to take your inspiring words and create memories to last. Thank you! Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady. hugs, Ellen

Love your new header!

Patti December 20, 2008 at 4:46 PM  

I love your post about stockings! We've always done them and have some even for the dogs. My stocking is a special one my dad made- it is lace with pearls sewn into the lace, lined in green satin with metallic trim and velvet ribbon. I have some puctures of it on my psot- it is such a treasure! Thanks for sharing and I hope you find something exquisite in your stocking Christmas morning!!!

~ Patti

Bargain Decorating with Laurie December 20, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Stockings are a wonderful tradition. They just seem to add so much excitement to the morning. The ones you showed are wonderful. Thank you. laurie

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie December 20, 2008 at 9:08 PM  

Hi Heidi,
I love your Mothers idea of the wrapping of all the little treasures. We always had special gifts in our stockings and it was exciting to see what was in them. This I have passed to my grandbabies now.
Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas,
Bonnie

cammy @ freckledfarm December 21, 2008 at 6:50 AM  

Oh Heidi, I just love this post. I especially love the cream felt stocking. Have a blessed and happy Christmas.

Sara December 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

I love this story, I think it is such a wonderful way to do the holidays, to wrap everything so carefully and sweet. It makes it more special!! I love your style, and Holly's too - it's obviously been handed down!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP