Related Posts with Thumbnails

My "Tiny Tree Box" Tutorial....

Thursday, December 18, 2008

A snowy little forest!......

I am reading about all you ladies who are all organized,.... with your holiday preparations almost finished?...& as much a I would love to add my name to that list, I am nowhere near! :) I still am decorating & baking!!....I still have two darling "dresses" to make for my daughters, along with two Amy Butler "messenger bags" ( with Anna Maria Horner & Amy Butler fabric....sew pretty!)....I have a "felt board" I am making for Andrew ( my 4 year old grandson), along with creating a "clubhouse" for his beloved "Mutant Ninja Turtles"! ....I have no grandaughters, so this is my attempt at putting together a "dollhouse"! :)

In the midst of all my projects, I held my annual "Christmas Cookie Party" last week. As a "favor" for each of my sweet friends to take home,... I made these charming little boxes! Let me rephrase that...I "decorated" these charming little boxes. A year or so ago, I found these little cardboard boxes, approx. 4 " square at Walmart. You could use any box you like, but these were so cute with the edge of the lid being scalloped.....What I did was this...I took each lid & painted it white.....I then made up a "glitter mixture" of Martha Stewart's course glitter, her fine glitter & then the old-fashioned "mica" glitter, which is readily available. After painting the box lids, & allowing them to dry, I painted the top & sides with Modge Podge & generously sprinkled on the glitter mixture & let that dry.....I then took tiny little bottle brush trees (available in the holiday aisle at Walmart & approx. 3-4" tall) & glued them to the top of each lid. I carefully sprayed the tree ( be careful not to spray on you glittered lid) & then glittered those as well....Then at Michaels, I found the most amazing little spools of "twill tape" printed with the word "Cherish"....I cut litle pieces of it & then draped & glued those on the trees, adding a long pearl-headed pin as well.... I added a wee jingle bell & there you have it.....the most adorable "Tiny Tree Box"!..I think the end result is so vintage looking! It is perfect to give alone or to tuck a little surprise in!.....This project was so quick, it was so easy & so inexpensive! There is still time friends...even if you still are knee-deep in "to-do's" like me.....Go pick up a few supplies, come home & create a "Tiny Tree Forest"!!!........Happy Crafting!

19 comments:

Georgia Girl December 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Oh those are so cute! I bought some of these trees this year but have not used them for anything yet...What a neat idea!

Gone December 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

Such talent...and so sweet. I love what you did, Heidi!

Charlene December 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

What an adorable idea! Thank you so much for sharing. Love the way you put the trees on top & did three types of glitter. That gives so much more interest than one. I did glitter houses this year. It is wonderful fun but MESSY!

Michele December 18, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Heidi ~ those are adorable! You're so talented! I love how they turned out!

Hugz,
Michele

Antiques and More Blog December 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

How cute is that!! I think I'll try this project...love the pearl studded pin. So Very Vintage!! Hey, that could be the new name of my blog...just a thought.
Lisa

Polka Dot Moon December 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

I just read Holly's post on the cookie party and I am beyond amazed at what your creative family comes up with!!!

I just love your Tree Boxes - what a treasure for your guests!!
Denise

Mad Red Hare December 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM  

Those are absolutely adorable. I don't have time this year, but I will definitely remember them for next year!

Anonymous,  December 18, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

those are adorable! what did you spray on the trees?
Missy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME December 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

Oh my goodness...those are precious! I bet they were thrilled to receive such a sweet gift!

Cottage Rose December 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

Hello Heidi; How sweet are those Christmas tree boxes.. I just love them, I just might have to add them to my to do list, which is getting longer. lol'

Have a great week.and Merry Christmas.

Hugs;
Alaura

Brenda December 18, 2008 at 9:51 PM  

Those are just precious!

Kathy December 18, 2008 at 10:16 PM  

So stinkin' cute!! You're just so clever!
Kathy

Melissa December 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM  

These are so cute and I do love bottle brush trees...thanks for sharing!!!

Kass December 19, 2008 at 6:05 AM  

WOW- those are incredible -I want one!! I had my cookie swap last night and was so frazzled- all I could come up with is a cellophane bag with 3 hersheys kisses and a scratch off lottery ticket!!!

BailiwickStudio December 19, 2008 at 7:19 AM  

I love my little Christmas Tree box! I have a feeling it will be staying in plain sight all year! ::Jill

Patti December 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

How cute are these!!! Thanks for sharing the idea! Happy sewing and...!


Patti

Elise December 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

Those are absolutely beautiful!!
Elise

cammy @ freckledfarm December 21, 2008 at 6:59 AM  

Heidi, You are so talented and creative my friend! I adore the little Christmas boxes. I have been looking for some inexpensive bottle brush trees and happy to know where to find them now! Cammy

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP