Related Posts with Thumbnails

Two Great Pastas, From One Bare Pantry!

Monday, August 3, 2009

A couple days ago, I was was all ready to make dinner, realizing my pantry was becoming a bit bare?.....But a hungry family was slowly encroaching on my kitchen, so a meal had to materialize quickly!

After taking inventory of my meager ingredients,.... I ended up making a couple pasta dishes.....They both seemed to turn out quite nicely,...However, I never expected my family to LOVE them the way they did!!??....My husband just kept eating & eating, saying how delicious the fettucine dish was & my daughters & grandson raved about the "bowties"!......I was just delighted!...& very proud of myself for coming up with two pastas that were healthy, inexpensive & ones I will make again & again!!.....Thought you might like to try them as well!.....Enjoy!!

Fettucini with Cheddar & Broccoli:

Ingredients:
*1 pkg. of fettucini
* 3- individual servings of Green Giant's "Broccoli/Cheddar Cheese"( frozen foods)
* olive oil
* 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
* 3- large fresh tomatoes (chopped into 1/2" pieces)
* kosher salt

Prepare fettucini according to pkg. instructions, making sure it is "al dente", no one like mushy pasta!!.....Drain pasta & place back into pasta pot. Take all 3-individual "broccoli/cheese" servings & place in microwave & cook for about 2/3 the recommended time ( again so vegetables stay firm). Add the broccoli/cheese servings over the hot fettucini, along with a a few swirls of olive oil ( approx. a scant 1/4 cup) & a sprinkling of kosher salt. Toss. Add tomatoes & a 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Lightly toss again & serve!!.....
-----------------------------------

Farfalle (bowtie pasta) with Sour Cream Pesto & Capers: ( sounds so fancy doesn't it!)

Ingredients:
* pkg. of Farfalle ( bowtie pasta)
* 3/4 cup pesto ( store bought or homemade)
* 3/4 cup light sour cream
* olive oil
* Parmesan cheese
* 3-4 T. capers

Prepare Farfalle according to pkg. instructions ( again al dente).....Drain & place back into pasta pot....Combine 3/4 cup of pesto with 3/4 cup of light sour cream & stir. Add approx. 6 swirls of olive oil & stir again. Add to hot pasta & toss. Add 3-4 T. of capers & a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese & lightly toss again. Serve.

8 comments:

Elise August 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

Oh my goodness, those sound so good!!
I am just about to email you about that newsletter!!
Elise

the wild raspberry August 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

the food sounds scrumptious but i am really drooling over all that jadite!!
chasity

NicNacManiac August 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention and it sounds like you were quite inventive!! Family was happy...that's what counts!!

Sherri August 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM  

Heidi, doesn't it surprise you sometimes how creative we can be with what is in our pantry no matter how meager it is! Glad both dishes were a hit! I copied the recipes for my recipe box. Thanks for sharing!

Candy August 4, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

Got to love it! We can do a lot with a little if we have to. Go Girl!!!

Stacey August 4, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Hi Heidi! I sure enjoyed your sweet comments today. I am a big fan of Weight Watchers too. Joined about 4 years ago and have managed to keep most of the weight off. That was kind of the reason for my post today. We have to keep these things in check!! At my WW meetings they always talk about a cake that you make with cake mix and a 7 up. Have you tried it? It's yummy! Now google it and make sure I'm telling you exactly the right thing because it's been awhile. :)

Stacey August 4, 2009 at 7:21 AM  

I usually have all of these ingredients on hand. I will definitely try them. We always need something new to eat.

Rue August 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

Hi Heidi :)

That sounds delicious!! Thank you for the recipe :)

Oh and I just ordered your xoxo pillow! I'm in love ;)

xo,
rue

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP