Related Posts with Thumbnails

"From HOUSES to HOMES".......

Friday, August 15, 2008

Ever since I was a child, I have been attracted to "charming homes". I remember Sunday drives when my mother, sister & I would travel across town to the "South Hill", an area of town with the oldest & most lovely neighborhoods!....We would stop for a snack (usually a candy bar), & then slowly drive down the winding, tree-lined streets....imaging what it would be like to actually live within these beautiful structures.......I also enjoyed books with "illustrations" that brought the text to life, ...the "Secret Garden", "Anne of Green Gables" & the "Little House"series, all of which went on to tell of houses, where the main characters lived in homes that were "old & enchanting"...or small, simple & "filled with love"!.....And as a high school student, I couldn't wait to enroll in the "architectural drawing" class, just so I could surround myself with,... & create drawings of homes, that I would imagine myself someday living in.....
Growing up, our small family lived in a modest home with a large well-manicured yard. Even though money wasn't plentiful, my mother created an extremely cozy & pretty home!!!...She painted furniture, sewed everything from curtains to clothes & had flower gardens that were brimming with blossoms!!....I saw that if the "desire" was there, anyone could make a humble dwelling into a lovely home! Her influence has had a tremendous effect on me!....
Through the years I have been very fortunate to have had many very nice homes. I have always, ...immediately after moving in, taken all the ideas I had accumulated,... from those Sunday drives, illustrations from "girlhood" books & my own mother's talented example, & begin decorating & creating the home I had dreamed of!....
Of course there are certain styles of homes & architectural details that I have always loved & will continue to enchant me!....I LOVE "cottages"....I LOVE "shuttered windows"...... "ivy & rose covered walls"..... "picket fences"...."rock walls"...."dormer windows" & landscaping that helps "create a mood"!

At the moment, I find myself living in a fairly new, suburban neighborhood...very nice, but devoid of much imagination.....So now my challenge begins again.....making this house of ours into something special......
I have been reaching deep for that "inspiration from the past"... & have begun to apply it to this wonderfully blank canvas I call "home".
Before long, our recently built home will be taking on the look & feel of one much older.....bit by bit, room by room I will be adding the little touches that I love so much.....

And before you know it, through lots of hard work, it will take on the features of the beloved homes I used to drive by on those Sunday afternoons long ago.... I personally love this process,...of taking something "raw" & making it all your own!....And maybe the reason this has always been such an exciting process for me, is because of the people I'm doing it for,....my family.....After all, without them....the most important feature of a home would be missing.....that being, "LOVE".....

18 comments:

Schotzy August 15, 2008 at 3:13 AM  

AW! I love your post! We share the same love of the cottage look, of course I love the Olde World cottage look best. I will check back often to shre in your progress! Blessings! Carolyn

Katy August 15, 2008 at 5:28 AM  

Mmmmmm!!! I love homes too. I have to becareful though...LOL...I try not to covet them or be discontent. (i struggle with that at times) but I do love homes!!!! :) I love all the pics you shared and enjoyed this post!!!! :)

Anonymous,  August 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM  

Heidi, you are a good soul. I always feel so happy when I visit you.

Anonymous,  August 15, 2008 at 6:11 AM  

Ahh, all the homes you pictured here are so dreamy to me. I think that's why I love Great Britain so much cuz you see these lovelies it seems around every corner...
Enjoy working on your home.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda August 15, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

Great post, and after seeing your beautiful, inviting family room, I have all confidences your home is a beautiful haven! The lake our home is own is in the same county I grew up in, and I use to dream about having a home there when I was a little girl! Dreams do come true! :)

Your mom sounds like a remarkable woman! I belive her daughter and grandaughter certainly did take after her! :) ~hugs,Rhonda

mysteryhistorymom August 15, 2008 at 6:41 AM  

Heidi- What a wonderful post! I adore cottages, too, and you certainly have some charming ones pictured! You have such a gift for decorating and I know that every house you have lived in has been like something in a dream...:-) Lori

onlymehere August 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM  

Loved the post and the pictures of the homes! It sounds like you know how to put together a very cozy and inviting home. I hope that you post before and after pictures as we will be moving in about three years and I'd love to have a vision of what could be for our new place!

Polka Dot Moon August 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM  

You've given us another lovely post! What charming and enchanted homes. Makes me want to go knock on the door and meet the families that live there.

Anonymous,  August 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

You and me both, hon! I agree with everything you said, and loved the tour of the homes. I especially like the memories you have when you were younger and driving around those neighborhoods "yearning." It is a raw, blank canvas. Our hands and our hearts do the rest.
Brenda

colleen August 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

Heidi,
You always create such fantastic decor in your homes and from the pics you have posted in the past of your current home, I can see that it is beautiful as well!
Happy friday! colleen

Louise August 15, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

Beautiful post! I share your taste, but not your talent for accomplishing what you do. (My priorities are elsewhere, or maybe I could actually do it. I don't know.) We live in a suburban development with many subdivisions. Within subdivisions there are 3-8 house designs. Yes, devoid of imagination. But I have a friend whose home is a charming, country-like dream. One walks in and forgets all about the desert in which we live. I am sure that is what you are like. I hope you show us, room by room.

Susan Hickam August 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

I enjoyed all the beautiful homes you shared today with us as well as your story. My mother was a realtor and I always loved seeing different homes. Since I was a little girl I would dream up different homes and make floor plans etc. I adore the cottage look for its warmth, feel of history and comfort. I think they all remind me of my grandmother's home. Thanks for sharing today.

August 16, 2008 at 6:29 AM  

Lovely post with lovely photos. Those little cottages/bungalows are really my idea of dream homes. I enjoyed hearing how your mom has inspired you from an early age.

Just A Girl August 16, 2008 at 7:26 AM  

Such a beautiful post and beautifully written. Have fun creating!

Rhondi August 16, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

Heidi
You could be describing me in this post. Ever since I can remember I have been interested in houses and each time we moved, not matter how small the budget, I have always enjoyed making it ours. I love the process.
The houese you showed us are beautiful. I feel like I've seen some of them before. I'll be lookinf forward to see what you do with this house you're in now.
Hugs, Rhondi

Anonymous,  August 16, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

What a wonderfully touching post Heidi and those cottages are so pretty. But you're right - it's the people inside that count and what makes a house a home.
Have a lovely weekend.
Carolx

Thru Pink Curtains August 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

Well that is too bad you are not going to post but maybe some pink thing will show up when you least expect it
I love the house by the railroad tracks. it looks like a Kinkade picture!

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden August 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

OMGosh... if I had to pick a favorite I don't think I could. I want them all, lol!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP