Related Posts with Thumbnails

"A Country Girl".......

Monday, April 20, 2009

A "beautiful old barn",... softened by blossoms of Spring.....

Ever since I was a child, I have loved "country", & I am really not sure why?.... It's certainly not that my home growing up was "ultra-modern", or that my mother preferred a "stark, contemporary style".....quite the contrary!.....My mother has always had a love of "Tradional Home-esque" interiors & provided us with a home that was cozy, inviting & very classic....I had no complaints....
When I started keeping a home of my own, I followed fairly closely with what a had been taught,.... but as I have gotten older, I have noticed more & more that a "farmhouse country look" is what I love most! I adore those old white farmhouses, red barns, & anything John Deere!.......I long to plant my own vegetables, grow my own flowers & decorate with checks & tiny pastel prints!.....I love to listen to "Rascal Flats", & "dream of" once again owning a piece of property somewhere in rural America.

A simple shelf, "dolled up" with gingham!......

The other day while chatting with my mother on the phone......I asked her if she or my sister were familiar with the "Farm Chicks"?....two darling "farm ladies" in the Spokane, Washington that have joined forces, organizing not only a antique show, but who have just written their first book as well!.....You see, I grew up in Spokane & thought since my mother & sister still live there, that maybe they would have been to one of the the Farm Chicks Shows?....Oh Yes!...my mother had heard of them, but quickly went on to tell me how she was not into "that farm stuff", but knew I was??.....I just had smile!

Old tractors!........love them!
So once again, I ask where this love of "humble country" comes from?.....I guess your just born with it!....Years ago , it was spending a few hours up in a tree reading one of the "Little House" books, or choosing to be a "pioneer for Halloween!......Then it was my love of the Ralph Lauren "Prairie Style" in clothes, & wallpapering my first kitchen with "red checked wallpaper"!.....& now I have to say my "attraction for country" has turned into a lifestyle!..... My home is filled with wonderful old things.....I make jam & grow tomatoes....I piece quilts & sew-up grain-sack pillows & I can totally appreciate a great pair of worn jeans!

And a pretty "country kitchen"!.....
I am proud to say, this "love affair" is here to say!.....The "farmhouse country style" I find myself immersed in, is not a passing fancy, but a charming way of living that brings satisfaction & happiness to my life!.....So in closing,...Even though I wasn't born a "country girl", .....I sure am enjoying becoming one!........Heidi XO



19 comments:

Terry April 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

Wow I'd say that you have found your true love,your bliss,your niche and all those other wonderful sayings that really don't do justice to your blog.
I just love to drop by .I myself am new to blogging and find comfort and security with a country girl like yourself.
Thanks for sharing your delightful
decorating gift.
Have a blessed week.

Sinta Renee April 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

I'm with you Heidi! I'm a country girl too! I love the little gingham ruffle... too cute!

Schotzy April 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

May i inquire again, here in cae it must missed before, have the green and white partners been chosen? Or have I missed something?

Sherri April 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

I love that darling little shelf lined with the gingham ruffle! I love that barn picture with the blossoms too! Thanks for sharing!

♥ Noelle ♥ April 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

i love all the country accents- especially gingham! i want our next home to be an old farmhouse full of character:) i can't see myself being a farm girl, cause i'm a bit prissy and love to shop but i'd love the quiet and laid back life of living on land in the country:)

noelle

i love that pic of the barn!!

KayC. April 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

I agree with you...farmhouse country all the way. Right now I live in a brick ranch and would love to have a old/new farm house to call home! The house we live in before was a farm house (we moved to a different state...I cried that I had to leave my house behind) We plan to retire in a couple of years and I hope to be able to find some land and build a farm house and barn. Have a big garden, orchard, and a few farm animals! A dream, I hope becomes true!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie April 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

I enjoyed your self-analysis, and your country images you posted. The shelf with the gingham ruffle is just so pretty. laurie

shaybert April 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Heidi, you have described me. I grew up in LA at the beach but always wanted to be in the country. I love old barns and tractors and farmyards. I had spent summers in NW Iowa and always longed for the midwest... and here we are. No farm, did live out on the prairie for a while. Enjoy! Blessings, Shay

KatCollects April 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

Hi Heidi,
I love old barns. I have a antique John Deere, can't drive it and it sits but it's beautiful, LOL. My Dad bought and restored old John Deere tractors and he had I think 7 when he passed away almost 10 years ago. My Mom gave me the last one he had restored, I will have to post a picture one day. I was supposed to go to the Farm Chicks show for the first time this year but will probably not be able to now with another foot surgery coming up. Great post, thank you for the smile.
Hugs,
Kathy

Paula April 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

I love this post! I WAS born and raised a farm girl and even though I've been off the farm for alot of years, all that country stuff is in my soul. One day, I'm getting my place in the country again. I'll have a goat and a John Deere tractor...

GranthamLynn April 21, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Great photo's thanks for sharing. I love old barns too. That kitchen was great.
Have a great Wed.
Blessings,
Sherry

Ribbonwood Cottage April 22, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

Heidi, I knew you and I were kindred spirits. I too am a farm girl and love country things. I love wrapping up in a quilt to drink my morning coffee, I love wildflowers, we have a tractor...chickens, but I love inviting people over and then commenting that they feel so comfortable in our home. That is what we aim for, a happy home, comfortable home, and people who love to come over. I'm sure you are making your home very welcoming! I love it.
Blessings,
Debbie

glenna April 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

I'm a red gingham gal too. Lived in several houses over the years and all seem to end up with red checks in at least one room.
Enjoyed your blog.

cathleen April 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

I've always loved the farmhouse look. Always reminds me of my grandmother's home. Her house always smelled cozy and comforting. I try to do that, too, at my house so my grandgirlies have that memory. So..I guess I'm a country girl too, Heidi!!!!

Anonymous,  April 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

Gorgeous pics! I'm a country girl at heart too ... I refer to my decorating style as "farmhouse cottage chic". Red gingham?? *swoon*

The Cutest Cottage Lamps April 22, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

What a neat story Heidi...I have alway loved and dreamed of living in an old farm house (we should have looked around longer before we moved!) Your words and pictures are just very relaxing I even want to paint that old barn with the blossoms in the foreground!
Have a lovely week!
xxxooo
Marilyn

♥ Noelle ♥ April 23, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

heidi, i did a little post about you on my blog!!!

noelle :)

Donna @ Party Wishes April 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

I always wanted to be Laura Ingalls! My daughter just did a biography on her for the 2nd grade.

I can appreciate other styles but I still love my cowboy boots over high heels!

Elise April 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

Me too!! Everything you said!!
I especially love that kitchen you featured!! I remember seeing it in Country Home or Country Living, can't remember which one. Love it!!
Elise

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP