Related Posts with Thumbnails

OUR "AUTUMN RECIPE & TABLESCAPE EXCHANGE".....

Saturday, September 27, 2008

A few weeks ago, I had the idea of exchanging Autumn "recipes", since I was in dire need of a few new ideas!...& then I went one step further & thought how wonderful it would be add photos of our own lovely Fall "tablescapes" as well! So I told you all about my idea, asking those interested to please post photos of their own pretty tablesettings, along with a favorite "cool weather" recipe. I was so pleased to have so many of you want to join me! So today is that day,......the "Autumn Recipe & Tablescape Exchange"!


For my own contribution, I decided to set a cozy,... somewhat "everyday" placesetting.....I used one of my own quilts (heididevlin.etsy.com) to start with, which I love doing since quilts "soften & quiet" a table. I then added a combination of brown transferware, adding a "bit of color", with some wonderful orange plates I picked up at Anthropologie,... which have a very "vintage-y" appearance. Everything on this table of mine, is just random,... "bits & pieces". Inexpensive "glass candlesticks" with IKEA tapers.....An old tarnished silver "trophy cup" filled with "tangerine-colored roses"......My "cake plate", another piece of garage-sale "silver", topped off with a "glass dome" covering a funny little "pumpkin", & a "scattering of acorns" from our property back east. I also love to always add a small candle next to each placesetting, which when lit adds such an intimate feel to your table....Here it was done, by simply adding a tiny taper to a small juice glass, filled with flax seeds.


For me, a "charming table" is achieved by using lots of "textures",... along with the mixing of interesting "color combinations & patterns"! It's using the "everyday pieces" we all have,... just arranging them in new & different ways, that make a table come to life!


And in amongst your flowers, dishes & silverware,... be sure & add something "homemade"! Of course here, I have used my quilt,... but I also have added "napkins" that are actually "flour-sack" towels, that I have stamped with a "monogram & small acorn", which lends a somewhat elegant, yet earthy feel to the placesetting...which I love!


And since I am on the subject of my "stamped monogram napkins", ....It brings me to my next announcement. I promised, for all of you that participated today in my "Autumn Recipe & Tablescape Exchange" that I would add your names to a drawing for a set of these lovely napkins!...Well the lucky winner is Elise @ "Nest Sweet Nest"!! Congratulations, Elise!...& would you please e-mail me (heididevlin@gmail.com) the "letter" you would like me to use on your napkins, & I will make them up, & send them right out for you to enjoy!

Now for the "recipe" part of this exchange!...I am sharing the recipe for Ina Garten's, "Pumpkin-Banana Tart"! It is "simply divine"!!! You must make it!.... One of the lovliest desserts you will ever serve at this time of year!!!....

Ingredients
For the crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (14 crackers)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 extra-large egg yolks
1 package (2 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1 ripe banana, finely mashed
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
For the decoration:
1 cup (1/2 pint) cold heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Orange zest, optional
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a bowl and mix well. Pour into an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and press evenly into the sides and then the bottom. Bake for 10 minutes and then cool to room temperature.
For the filling, heat the half-and-half, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until hot, about 5 minutes. Whisk the egg yolks in another bowl, stir some of the hot pumpkin into the egg yolks to heat them, then pour the egg-pumpkin mixture back into the double boiler and stir well. Heat the mixture over the simmering water for another 4 to 5 minutes, until it begins to thicken, stirring constantly. You don't want the eggs to scramble. Remove from the heat.
Dissolve the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Add the dissolved gelatin, banana, and orange zest to the pumpkin mixture and mix well. Set aside to cool.
Whip the heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until you have firm peaks. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture and pour it into the cooled tart shell. Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
For the decoration, whip the heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whisk until you have firm peaks. Pipe or spoon the whipped cream decoratively on the tart and sprinkle, if desired, with orange zest. Serve chilled.

*As promised, I have listed all of today's participants!.....Thank you so very much, for being so generous with your time, ideas & recipes!!....I now am off to visit each of you!...Thank you again for being such good friends! .....Heidi XO
1) Jan @ Jan & Tom's Place
2) Dana @ The Stone Rabbit
3) Lori @ Morning Glories & MoonFlowers
4) Molly @ Fattycake Designs
5) JoAnne @ Sunflower Meadows
6) Denise @ Polka Dot Moon
7) Missy @ Fairy Child Heirlooms
8) Holly @ mommy holly
9) Sherry @ If I Could Free My Soul
10) Deb @ Linens, Lace & Latte's
11) Molly @ molly b
12) Barbara @ Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers...The Art of Homemaking
13) Denise Elizabeth @ Hope Tree Studio
14) Lynn @ Vintage Nest
15) Rhonda @ Scooterblu's Whimsy
16) Tricia @ Tricia's Treasures
17) Katy Lin @ The Great Adventure
18) Elise @ Nest Sweet Nest
19) Valerie @ All The Queen's Chocolate
20) Beverly @ How Sweet The Sound
21) Carol @ Katherine's Dream
22) Mona @ Peace and Quilts
23) Becky @ Lace and Lures
24) Chris @Refining Life
24) Patti @ Creative Cottage Dreamer
25) Gretchen @ Bird Nest Cottage
26) Elizabeth @ French Village Life
27) Tamy @ 3 Sides of Crazy
28) Jennifer @ Jennifer's Petal Palace
29) Kathy @ Kat Collects
30) Kimberly @ Seashells and Silver
31) Linda @ LBP Sew
32) Sue @ Cottage in the Cedars

33) Ginger @ maumauisginger@gmail.com
34) Elizabeth @ doot65@comcast.net
35) Carla @ cpullen@yahoo.com

34 comments:

Bo September 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM  

Morning...I'm just crazy for the dishes you used in your autumn tablescape...but, that quilt... it is a beauty! The Pumpkin-Banana Tart looks like it would be "company special"...I'm off to check the other bloggers. ;-) Bo

Gone September 27, 2008 at 4:33 AM  

What a lovely tablescape and that Pumpkin Banana Tart sounds scrumptious.

Recipes...I can't wait to add to my cookbook!!

Anonymous,  September 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM  

Gorgeous Heidi and I heart your cheese keep. Thank you for hosting this fun day. ~ Lynn

Anonymous,  September 27, 2008 at 6:16 AM  

do you sell the monogram/acorn napkins or can you tell me where to find the stamps? Thanks, Cynthia

onlymehere September 27, 2008 at 6:50 AM  

I do love your table runner's! This table setting is absolutely divine. I also really like how you mix and match. I'm going to take a peek at all these ladies later today and get some ideas!

Anonymous,  September 27, 2008 at 6:58 AM  

Heidi, Your tablesetting looks so wonderful! I love every little inch of it! I have been on the "hunt" for brown transfer dishes for some time---now that I see how beautiful they look when combined with the orange---well, I am going to search harder now! Your little accessories are so great---love the tarnished silver cake plate with cloche, your lovly quilt and the darling idea of the indiviual candles in flaxseeds! You set the bar very high!!!! Thanks for organizing this fun event! Dana PS Terrific recipe, too! Wow, it will be a "fat fall" for me.

Anonymous,  September 27, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

Heidi, this is the perfect blogging event. Thank you for hosting this for all of us.

Your table looks just beautiful. So warm and welcoming.

And, you know I want some of that tart.

Jennifer September 27, 2008 at 8:34 AM  

Heidi,Your tablescape is so very pretty.I love your quilts.My mom is a quilter.I can sew but want to try some quilting.We are signing up for the gingerbread table runner class and i can't wait.My post is up now.Please take a look when you have time.I love your china and that huge cake plate.Hugs and Happy Fall,Jen

Anonymous,  September 27, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

Heidi,

Thank you so much for having this exchange and tablescape day.

Your quilt is the perfect background to your table for two and I can't wait to try your recipe.

Thanks for being my friend,

Gretchen

Anonymous,  September 27, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

What a wonderful idea - I just saw your blog so am too late but think this is all very lovely.
Bernideen's TeaTime Blog

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents September 27, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

What a beautiful table setting! I'd kill for a quilt like yours!! Just so warm & inviting. I really love how you put everything all together. Adorable napkins, love the cloche!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

The Quintessential Magpie September 27, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

I found your blog from a link on another, and boy, am I glad I did! What a wonderful tablescape, AND you have the added bonus of a delicious recipe.

Lovely blog. I look forward to touring it on this lazy Saturday afternoon.

Sheila... who someday hopes to get her own blog running ;-)

Unknown September 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

Your table is absolutely stunning, and I love everything pumpkin, so I am going to try that pumpkin tart recipe. Your blog looks stunning, and I would love to take a stroll down that tree-lined path. I must look at all of these links for inspiration. Karen

Marina Capano September 27, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

What a lovely tablescapes!beautiful!

happy fall! in my country is sping! today we have fantastic sunny day! love it! and I love fall too!

visit me anytime...

One Knit One Purl September 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Gorgeous table setting! I love Anthropologie too - great design!

Take care,
Susan

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda September 27, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Oh, Heidi this is just as fabulous as I knew it would be!!! I was actually expecting blue, with white pumpkins, and lots of things from nature...acorns, branches, etc. LOL! Just what I had you pegged for! LOL! But this is gorgeous! Your quilt runner is such a rich color! Love the china! You ought to write a book! :)

I received my swap package from Lori and it was so nice and amazing! Are we suppose to post it the 8th?

Have a great weekend! ~Rhonda :)

mommyholly September 27, 2008 at 1:57 PM  

Mom, love, love, love your tablesetting!!!! It is so pretty and original and GORGEOUS!!! :) Also, whoever took your photos has a real eye for design ;) haha!!! Thanks for hosting such a fun little day!!! Love, Holly

mysteryhistorymom September 27, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

Heidi- I love everything that you put together! You never cease to amaze me with your eye for color and attention to detail. I was almost too intimidated to post my pictures, but I did promise to participate and I always follow through on my promises.:) LOVE how you used your quilt as a table runner. Stunning, my friend! Lori

Katy September 27, 2008 at 3:21 PM  

Your tablescape is just beautiful Heidi!!! Thank you for sharing it with us!!! :)

GARAGE SALE GAL September 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

Heidi,
Your table is lovely:) Thanks for sharing it with me.
Have a great weekend.
Deb

imjacobsmom September 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM  

What a fun post! I wished I would have participated in your tablescape and recipe fun! Would you mind if I added you to my new "Must read" list? ~ Robyn

Polka Dot Moon September 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

Always lovely and inspirational! And now I'm quite hungry :)

Patti September 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

Your tablescape is gorgeous! I love the use of the quilt- it makes it so cozy. Your recipe will be on my list to try.

Thanks so much for hosting this swap! I've had so much fun visiting different places and getting inspired by everyone's beautiful tables. There are some excellent sounding recipes that I can't wait to try!

Yellow Rose Arbor September 27, 2008 at 7:16 PM  

Beautiful tablescape! I really enjoyed seeing everything!

I have my pumpkin centerpiece posted, if you would like to see it!

Katherine

KatCollects September 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM  

Heidi,
Yikes some how I am on your list of participants and didn't sign up. I am sorry, I am thinking I replied to you on a post saying fun idea and there was a mistake. I am so sorry for the mix up. I didn't want you to think I ditched you. I just truly don't have anything spectacular to put on my table right now, but working on it : ) I am looking forward to reading all the recipes.
Kathy

CONNIE September 28, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

Oh, Heidi, I am so oohhing and aahhing on your oh-so elegant and vintage-y tablescape. Your quilt as a tablecloth really anchored your brown transferware and the tarnished silverware and personlaized napkins completed the look. Overall, it's a perfect tablescape. Great job!

Ribbonwood Cottage September 28, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

Heidi, beautiful table. I too like to use quilts as table coverings. Wow, your table looks wonderful with all your 'bits and pieces' as you say. I really like your blog and enjoy it, even though I don't post much, I really, really like it!
Blessings,
Debbie

. September 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM  

Oh hello so sorry I forgot I entered oops thanks for adding me.
Blessing to you! Denise

Anonymous,  September 28, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

Heidi, your table is so beautiful! I love how you used orange to make it POP and the beautiful quilt ties it all together! I love using quilts as tableclothes too! the acorn stamp you used is just so sweet (I want some of those napkins!) Your recipe sounds so yummy!
Missy

Elise September 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM  

Hey Heidi,
Just wanted to let you know that I did get my tablescape up the other day.
Thanks for hosting this-it was fun.
Elise

Kimberly September 29, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

LOVE those layered plates and monogrammed napkins; swoon!

Heidi, thank you for hosting such a fun event! I'm still so new to blogging and every event I can be a part of is so exciting. Thanks again!

Tardevil September 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the dishes...I'm in the process of getting my blog set up, and hope to show my vintage brown/white dishes. Yours are just lovely!!! Love the Anthropologie plates too. Isn't that a fun store? Have a great time!!!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage September 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

Oh Heidi, what a wonderful theme! I wish I had known about it! Can't wait to check them all out! I LOVE your warm & cozy setting Heidi! It is so welcoming and old fashioned, just like Thanksgiving should be!
Blessings!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP