Related Posts with Thumbnails

"September Recipes".....

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it!.....Goerge Eliot

Today is Sunday.....The first September Sunday of 2008.....It is close to 100 degrees here at our house, but I am working on Halloween swap boxes,... doing a bit of cooking... & quite contently pretending it is a lovely Autumn day, with crisp, cool temps. & leaves a falling. I am quite tardy with the posting of recipes, so I thought I would rectify that with this post! I am sharing two amazing recipes, both of which are especially good at this time of year! The first is a recipe I was given by my good friend Linda... She lives in the tiniest of villages back east, in a big old house & is quite the cook! This cake she shared one day when a group of us were getting together at my house to quilt. It is "German Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Icing" & is simply delectable!.....The other is a Gooseberry Patch recipe, for "corn pudding" that I have made dozens of times over the last several years. This corn pudding is something that can be made at this time of year to accompany turkey or beef, but also works well along side mexican dishes as well!.....Try them for yourself....I'm sure they will become "family favorites" at your house too!

Gooseberry Patch Corn Pudding:

16 oz. can corn, drained
16 oz. can creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
8 oz. pkg. corn muffin mix
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 c. cheddar cheese
Mix all ingredients together except the cheese. Pour into greased dish (13" x 9"), bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, Sprinkle with cheese and bake 15 minutes longer, makes 6 servings.

German Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Icing:

1 1/4 cup olive oil
3 well-beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 cups chopped apples
Mix beaten egg, oil, sugar, & vanilla. Add dry ingredients to mixture. Batter will be thick. Add apples. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour in greased 9" x 13" pan.

Cream Cheese Icing
6 oz. cream cheese,... room temp.
1/4 cup, melted
1 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in butter. Stir in confectioner's sugar & lemon juice. Spread over cooled cake.

20 comments:

mysteryhistorymom September 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

Heidi- These recipes sound amazing! I will definitely be trying them soon! The weather here is lovely and we have our windows open tonight! It's a bit chilly.:-) The Fall weather will be at your house soon, too! Lori

cathleen September 7, 2008 at 5:03 AM  

These both sound really delicious Heidi, especially the cake. I'll add these ingredients to my grocery list for today. Thank you for sharing them.

Louise September 7, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

I have a similar recipe to the corn pudding, and everyone LOVES it. Can hardly wait to try the German Apple Cake. I made the Apple Cake Doris this weekend and definitely kept my reputation as an excellent cook! I'll put a plug in with my next post!

simple~needs September 7, 2008 at 6:44 AM  

recipes are great!
i had the first recipe published in taste of home mgazine 14 years ago. back then i had entered it as corn casserole. we make it alot at the holidays.so, cool to see it make it to gooseberry patch. :)
i am definitely trying the apple cake. mmy aunt has an orchard so we are always looking for new apple recipes.

onlymehere September 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

I have to make this cake! My husband will absolutely love it I'm sure.

KatCollects September 7, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Yummy, can't wait to make this cake. I make apple bread pudding that my Daughter loves, I think I will surprise her with this after school tomorrow, thank you!
Kathy

Stacey September 7, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

The corn pudding looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it! Thank you so much for sharing these. Also- looking forward to the swap. I'm getting my items together:) I hope my partner will like them!

Anonymous,  September 7, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

Heidi, these sound delicious. I am going to have to try them - especially the corn pudding. My family loves all kinds of corn pudding.

Debbies-English-Treasures September 8, 2008 at 7:04 AM  

Those recipes do sound D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S!
Thanks for sharing!
Humm... I could do with a slice of THE German Apple cake, right now, followed by English Tea... of course!
Kisses
Debbie Moss

(FROM ENGLAND)

Anonymous,  September 8, 2008 at 11:23 AM  

I'm going to make that cake tomorrow. Can't wait to try it.

Gretchen

Clover Yard September 8, 2008 at 1:45 PM  

Yum, these sound tasty Heidi. Don't think we get creamed corn over here but I think I might try the cake. Always goes down well in our house! Pop over my post when you get a mo - I've let everyone in on what is printed on the precious cushion you made for me!
Carolx

Patti September 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

yum! Both recipes sound great! I can't wait to try th apple cake- my husband loves things like this...and I have never found a Gooseberry Patch recipe I didn't like!

Trish September 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

That apple cake sounds soooo yummy! We're planning on going to the orchard this weekend. This recipe will be a great way to use some of the apples! Not just for apple crisp! :)

Anonymous,  September 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

Sounds delicious! I love your fall colors. Everybody seems to be in that "Halloween's in the air" frame of mind!
Brenda

BailiwickStudio September 8, 2008 at 6:41 PM  

I love your new banner! I'm in NY wishing it was later in the season so there'd be some Fall color. But no... it's hot here too! ::Jill

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: September 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM  

The recipes sound fabulous - especially the corn pudding which is something I've never heard of before!

Amanda September 8, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

Just stumbled across your blog! These recipes sound delicious, will have to definitely try that cake. I've been in a cake making mood lately so this is perfect :) Just made a Peanut Butter Tandy Cake that was AWESOME, so I posted it. Thanks for these recipes!

GARAGE SALE GAL September 9, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Hi Heidi,
I've been looking at your blog, but under the Halloween post and that hadn't changed, so I'm fnally got on the right blog...sometimes I'm not with the program. So, now I have to catch up on all your post since August..off I go to read what's new..and a little package should arrive later this week at your house :)
Warmly, Deb

Donna September 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM  

Both recipes sound YUMMY, especially the cake! Thanks for sharing them.

It's hot here too, and oh so HUMID! Hurry up fall!

Hugs,
Donna

KatCollects September 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

Hi Heidi,
Just wanted to let you know that I made the apple cake and it was soooooo good!!! I will be making it again, thank you.
Kathy

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP