Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Day After.......

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Country Living's "Chicken Noodle Soup"....... Well Friends, After last night's "real life drama"...I am ready for an evening of "cozy comforts"! I'm planning on lighting a fire, plumping up the pillows, & draping myself with a big old quilt!.....Dinner will be something warm & delicious, most likely eaten in front of the T.V.....but no news or world events tonight for this family!....As we all curl up to enjoy this November evening, the only "voting outcome" I will be concerned about is.... "who'll be voted out on Dancing with the Stars"!!!!.......Get cozy & enjoy your evening!.......Heidi XO

"Cozy Quilt"...courtesy of Ralph Lauren.......

Note: Country Living's Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe:
1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken
3 quart(s) low-sodium chicken broth
6 carrots, peeled
4 stalk(s) celery, ends trimmed
3 medium onions, peeled
5 black peppercorns
1 clove(s) garlic, crushed
10 sprig(s) parsley
2 sprig(s) thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
4 leeks, tops and root ends removed
1 teaspoon(s) salt
1 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper
3 cup(s) (5 ounces) medium egg noodles

DIRECTIONS
Make the stock: Place the chicken and chicken broth in a large stockpot and set it over medium heat. Roughly chop 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, and 1 onion and add to the broth. Add the peppercorns, garlic, 2 sprigs of parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the chicken is very tender -- about 1 1/4 hours -- skimming the surface periodically. Remove the chicken and place in a large bowl. Strain the broth through a very fine sieve into a large, clean bowl or stockpot. Discard the vegetables.
Make the soup: Skim any fat off the top of the strained broth and discard. Slice the remaining carrots, celery, onions, and leeks into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and set aside. Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken, cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside. Chop the remaining parsley leaves and set aside. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook until the onions are translucent -- about 7 minutes. Add the chicken, the reserved broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender -- about 1 hour. Stir in the egg noodles and parsley and cook until the noodles are tender -- about 10 more minutes. Serve hot. Serves 16......


13 comments:

Unknown November 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM  

I'm with you there, sister. No more CNN for a bit.I am so glad the election process is behind us. I am blogging, watching Design to Sell and just enjoying the evening. Love the soup recipe. Looks delish!
Tammy

mysteryhistorymom November 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM  

Heidi- We are "licking our wounds" here at our house and trying to avoid the news, too. A cozy blanket and chicken soup sounds lovely. Thank you for sharing... Lori

The Vintage Vagablonde November 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM  

Chicken soup is good for the soul.....Glad the election is over too.
Was undecided till the very end....You are a shining example of what AMERICA is.
We support each other...even if we do not always agree.
I get so irritated by the mean comments when someone is just merely expressing..their god given right to an opinion.
Enjoy your cozy blanket~I am going to read...wish I had some soup too:)

Sherry November 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM  

That's kind of what we did too.

Have a great day tomorrow!
Sherry

Kathy November 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

Sounds like a pretty wonderful soup - and evening. I hope it turned out to be exactly what you needed tonight!
Kathy

Betsy November 6, 2008 at 5:12 AM  

Hey just checking in about the swap. I don't want to be the person not doing my part. I e-mailed you in the beginning with my info and then again twice. I still have not gotten my partner. Am I doing something wrong? Just curious! :)

Betsy November 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM  

Hey! I have e-mailed it several times to you. Not sure what the mix-up is! Email me at lizabethtanner@yahoo.com and I will get back to you.

Anonymous,  November 6, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

Looks delicious and your photo is beautiful! We're having a comfort food recipe contest and would love to have you enter your recipe. I've linked to the contest through my name.

Anonymous,  November 6, 2008 at 2:58 PM  

Heidi,

I'm with you. I burned out on TV news and I think they voted out the right couple on "Dancing with the Stars".

Now I'm sorry I didn't sign up for your swap. I'll be the first to do that next time.

The recipe looks great.

Gretchen

Sherri November 6, 2008 at 7:10 PM  

Heidi-as I read you blog entry I was there with you! What a wonderful evening you have planned! Soup looks yummy!

Kass November 7, 2008 at 5:55 AM  

Im so happy to have fallen upon your blog from the tag you sent "Decor to Adore" - with the adorable Christmas girl.Then I see you also were for McCain..I had an all Day Comfort Blow out on my blog that day- with comforts for all- it was a blast. And it was nice to see your comforts as well- that soup looks great- as does the quilt.

Have a "cozy,comfort " weekend. Kass

cathleen November 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

The weather here is turning really nasty this weekend. This soup sounds like comfort food for a nice Saturday evening. Thanks for sharing it, Heidi.

CJ'SMOMMY*KIMBERLY May 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

I have been wanting a good chicken noodle soup recipe.To me it's light enough even for summer.I'll have to leave out celery ,can you believe my child is allergic to celery,poor thing.Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP