Related Posts with Thumbnails

Turkey Plates & Platters....

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Johnson Brother's "WildTurkeys" insignia.......so pretty!.... I think I would like to copy it & use it as a Thanksgiving decoration!.... Throughout the year, I have my collection of brown & white transferware on display on the open shelves of my dining room hutch.....But come Thanksgiving, a few of the pieces began to get a bit more attention than usual.......The pieces that start catching my eye are those that have that iconic symbol of the season that we all love.....the "turkey"!.....The turkey is just so American!....It definitely reminds me of our country's history.....of colonial settlements, of the Pilgrims & of much simpler times......

Look at all these "amazing "turkey plates"!!!.....
I personally am fortunate enough to own a large brown transferware "turkey platter", which I will use again this year to display & serve our "holiday bird". (my vegetarian daughter cringes at those words!)....and along with the platter, I also have a collection of Spode salad plates from their "Woodland" collection, which have beautiful "game birds" displayed on each plate......They add such a charming feel to our Thanksgiving table!.....

I will continue to add to my collection, now with my attention turned to the "blue/white" turkey plates!.... Oh! How I would love a set of these!...... along with the gorgeous "multi-colored platter" below!!
So once again this year, I will take my "turkey platter" down from the shelf,... I will use it proudly! It will remind me of our great country & our very "first" Thanksgiving .....One that was very "simple"....... welcoming, tolerant & kind....A day of saying "thank you for all our blessings".......I so look forward to this day......"Thanksgiving Day".



21 comments:

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey November 20, 2008 at 8:25 AM  

I just love the turkey plates. I will have to start hunting some of those. Like I need another plate LOL .

onlymehere November 20, 2008 at 9:37 AM  

I love these dishes and do wish I had a turkey platter like this!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME November 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

I love the turkey plates. Wish I had some. I use the same ole white platter from 20 years ago, but it does serve its purpose. Have a great week!

colleen November 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

Heidi,
I can only imagine how beautiful your thanksgiving table will look.....
Have a wonderful holiday!
colleen

Kathy November 20, 2008 at 5:05 PM  

Gosh, Heidi, the plates are all just beautful!
Happy Thanksgiving...
Kathy

Sherri November 20, 2008 at 5:41 PM  

I absolutely love your turkey plates!! I should see if I can find some. Enjoy them!

Cottage Rose November 20, 2008 at 5:52 PM  

Hello Heidi; I love those beautiful brown transfer ware turkey plates. wow what a mouth full.... lol
They are so gorgeous, love that platter too.

Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Donna @ Party Wishes November 20, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

The plates are gorgeous! My mom hosts Thanksgiving every year, so I have no use for turkey plates.
You mentioned a turkey being "so American". Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the country's bird to be a turkey? I'm glad it's the eagle! No offense!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie November 20, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those turkey plates. I've always wanted some, but haven't been able to make myself give up any storage space for them. After seeing yours, I'm thinking of where I might store some between Thanksgiving celebrations. laurie

Michelle November 20, 2008 at 8:26 PM  

I didn't know there were so many turkey plates! I love 'em. I do love the brown and white as well. Red and white is my other favorite.

imjacobsmom November 21, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

You are so lucky to have that beautiful platter! I would use that platter proudly. I sure could use a set of that Johnson Brothers turkey transferware. I had a set of Turkey plates in my cart at Homegoods but changed my mind and put them back! I have been regretting that ever since. When I went back they were GONE! I should have known better....Robyn

Unknown November 21, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

What lovely plates. Those colors are so beautiful.
Have a nice weekend!

Bye,
Marianne.

threesidesofcrazy November 21, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

I just love transfer ware. It always looks timeless not matter the age. Like something passed down through the generations and lovingly cared for.

Cami November 21, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

An antique turkey platter was one of the first vintage pieces I ever purchased myself as a new bride. What a gorgeous collection you have.

Grace November 21, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

I am such a platter and plate sucker....These are so pretty. Hugs Grace

Katie @ makingthishome.com November 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM  

Those turkey plates and platter are really great. I think ours have onions on them (eh). So beautiful!
Katie

Heather November 22, 2008 at 9:09 AM  

I love transferware. The turkey plates are precious! I would love to have a special platter for the holidays..........I'd also like a bigger kitchen and more cupboards to store everything in!! LOL!! When we moved into an apartment I had to get rid of so much and still have stuff in storage. Most of my pretty, non-everyday dishes and servers are hidden away.
Nothing says holidays like family and friends sitting around a beautifully decorated table!!
I am having a giveaway- stop by and put your name in!!
Have a great weekend!
Heather:)

Anonymous,  December 1, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

GORGEOUS CHINA YOU HAVE HERE.WOWOW.ANN

Anonymous,  December 1, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

GORGEOUS CHINA YOU HAVE HERE.WOWOW.ANN

Sweetina December 1, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

Hi Heidi Ann!
Pricila from Casa Bella Chic introduced me to your blog and it's Heavenly!
I have always loved the brown transferware turkey plates and i really ought to start collecting them also. You are so right~they do represent America and the birth of the Nation. What a great heirloom to pass on through the generations.
I am loving your blog and so I will read on~
hugsxx
Tina

Anonymous,  December 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM  

UzbekAlive is an online fabric store, offers you a finest selection of Decorator Fabric That you would love to buy. Find here a great range of Decorator Fabric. For more products log on: http://www.uzbekalive.com/

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP