Related Posts with Thumbnails

My "Thanksgiving Idea Exchange".......

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Sunday Friends, Thanksgiving is just days away,.... so as promised I am posting some delicious recipes & tips that I hope will help you all create the lovliest of holiday meals!....Some are from me & others are from some of you!...Thank you to those of you who took the time to contribute to my "Thanksgiving Idea Exchange"....I so appreciate it!.... Enjoy these ideas! ....Happy preparing!

I was so delighted to have Jeanne contribute links to two delightful suggestions she has for beautiful autumn centerpieces!...both of which would be perfect for Thanksgiving!....Be sure & visit her blog, as well as her new collection of home decor pieces at your nearest Hallmark store!

1- http://jeannewinters.blogspot.com/2008/10/fall-thanksgiving-centerpiece.html

2- http://jeannewinters.blogspot.com/2008/11/wheat-cross-decor.html

The next tip is actually a delicious roasted applesauce from my friend Katie. Katie is living at the moment in Germany, where she will be hosting her own Thanksgiving meal a bit early....actually today!....Enjoy your day Katie!.....& thank you for a wonderful recipe!

3- http://www.makingthishome.com/2008/10/30/those-apples-are-getting-saucy/

Next my friend Tamy has generously offered to share a blog she wrote recently about preparing for Thanksgiving! This post has such great advice & common sense tips!!.... I'm sure all of you will benefit from Tamy's experience!

4-http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2008/11/giving-thanks-and-tips-on-tuesday-way.html

And here are two incredible recipes sent to me from my good friend Elizabeth, both of which have been in her family for years & ones they enjoy together!....They both look great,... but a batch of these Pumpkin Bars may need to be made a bit early,.... like this afternoon! :)

5- Pumpkin Bars
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, soft
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter, add the brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla and mix well. In separate bowl, sift all dry ingredients together.Gradually add to the wet mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Let cool and top with Brown Butter Icing.

Brown Butter Icing:

1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tb milk

In saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until it is a light brown. Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Whisk until smooth and well blended.

6- Scalloped Corn....This yummy vegetable side dish can be prepared in advance and popped into the oven after the meat has been removed.
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, divided
4 Tbs. all-purpose flour
4 ½ cups milk
1 Tbs. sugar
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp. pepper
3 cans (11 oz each) corn niblets, drained
3 eggs, beaten
½ cup fresh bread crumbs (from 3 pieces of bread)

Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 13” x 9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.In a medium saucepan, melt 4 Tbs. of butter over medium heat. With a wire whisk, stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens. Set aside for 5 minutes.Place corn in a large bowl.Pour white sauce over corn and mix well. Stir in beaten eggs until thoroughly combined.Transfer entire mixture to baking dish.Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over the corn.Cut remaining 2 Tbs. butter into small pieces & use it to dot the top of the casserole.Bake 45 minutes until top is golden & a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

And finally a wonderful recipe that was given to me by my mother, Marie. She has made this recipe for many, many years & every time I make it I am asked for the recipe!...it is concidered a "bread", but it really is more of a "cake"!...You MUST make it.......because once you do, you will have it on hand continually during cranberry season!......

7- Cranberry Bread

2 cups sugar

1/2 c. butter

1 t. vanilla

1 t. lemon juice

2 eggs (well beaten)

1/2 c. chopped walnuts

4 c. flour

1 t. baking powder

1 t. soda

2 cups buttermilk

2 c. cranberries

Oven temp. 350 degrees. Cream together sugar & butter....add eggs, lemon juice, & vanilla. Sift together flour, baking powder & soda. Then add the "flour mixture", to the "sugar/butter mixture" alternating with the buttermilk, Beat well.......Add cranberries & nuts. Grease bottom & sides of two loaf pans. Split batter between the two pans. Before backing, sprinkle the top of each generously with sugar.....Bake for approx. 60-70 minutes. Remove from oven & immediately pour 1/4 -1/3 c. of melted butter over the top of each loaf......Enjoy!!!

8- And one decorating tip from me.......Instead of fretting over the fact of not having the proper tablecloth in the right size, try this. Take a roll of plain brown wrapping paper & run it down the length of your table, as you would any runner. Cut & turn under each end & secure both ends with scotch tape on the under side.....Then take an assortment of pumpkins,... all sizes, from large to very small and arrange them down the middle of the runner, very casually. Add tiny glass jars of orange-berried foliage, scattered throughout, along with white votives. Add plates,... transferware or ironstone...glassware, silver & "flour-sack towels" (as napkins!).....and you are all set! What a charming table! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!......Heidi XO

10 comments:

Tracy November 23, 2008 at 4:55 AM  

mmm...delicious, Heidi!! THANK YOU!! Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours :o) ((BIG HUGS))

Anonymous,  November 23, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

You know Heidi, I just took the small American flags I kept in an urn on the front porch down the other day when I decorated it for Thanksgiving but after seeing the picture of the harvest table I went right back to storage, got the flags and put them right back out. After all there is nothing more American than Thanksgiving. Thanks for the reminder.

threesidesofcrazy November 23, 2008 at 3:22 PM  

I love the brown paper idea for the table! That roasted applesauce and pumpkin bars sound yummy too!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas November 23, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

WOW - I had never heard of scalloped corn! Sounds yummy! And I may just give those bars a try, too!

Thanks for posting my links!!

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM  

Nice ideas for Thanksgiving… I too want some Christmas home décor ideas.

Ribbonwood Cottage November 24, 2008 at 6:38 AM  

Thank you Heidi, this is wonderful. I'm going to get myself some coffee and look through this. Blessings, and have a lovely Thanksgiving!
Debbie

Carol November 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

Dear Heidi, sorry I have not stopped by very much lately. It has been very full on here in recent weeks and I have been a bad blogger.
Those recipies sound delicious. I have acually been a bad cook as well of late. Hubby has been doing most of cooking since I broke my leg. His cooking has really come on a treat! he can often be found looking for new receipies, he will love your scalloped corn one.
Have a lovely week.
Carol xx

Anonymous,  November 26, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

Hello Heidi, Your recipes are awesome. I have copied them already.

I stopped by to wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving.

Blessings...Jeanne-backyard neighbor

Rhondi November 26, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

Hi Heidi
Just stopping by to say Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs, Rhondi

Katie @ makingthishome.com November 27, 2008 at 5:35 PM  

Ooh thank you for that cranberry bread recipe. Every Thanksgiving, I think, "boy I've got to find a better recipe." Maybe I have...!!
Thank you, too, for mentioning my apple sauce. I feel so silly to be talking about something that seems so dull but oh-my-gosh isn't.
Hope you're having a beautiful Thanksgiving.
Katie

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP