Related Posts with Thumbnails

An Observation.....

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beautiful fabric from Anna Maria Horner.....
Lately, ...I have been noticing something that makes me so incredibly happy......more & more ladies seem to be returning to the simple hobbies of "sewing, crocheting, knitting, quilting", etc!.....Even the more recent activities, such as "scrapebooking, stamping, card making & crafting" seem to be flourishing!......How refreshing it is!!..... to see these pastimes coming into their own again!.....At out house they never left!.....Our sewing machine is constantly "whirring", the glue gun is always "plugged in" & fabric scraps are continually "decorating" every flat surface in our home!...."Projects" of all kinds, have always been & continue to be part of our everyday life!.....

To see the popularity, of the new fabric designers/authors such as Amy Butler, Heather Bailey & Anna Maria Horner reaching out & exciting a whole new group of people, is very encouraging to me!...Their wonderful books & gorgeous fabric offering creative excitement to us all!

I would like to think this is one of the "good things" about our country & world being in the state they're in.....Living in this time of recession & job loss....with our elected leaders, deciding it best to "leverage" our children's & grandchildren's economic futures,.....Knowing the "home arts" may not only serve as a wonderfully creative outlet for us all, but one that will indeed come in handy in this world we are creating. For whatever reason though, I am thrilled to see these old-fashioned pastimes returning!.....bringing "creativity, beauty & self-expression" to our everydays....... Try something creative this coming week!.....Heidi XO

16 comments:

Pink Princess March 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

Hi Heidi, have you ever seen the books by Tone Finnanger?
They are gorgeous, with lovely patterns and interior ideas. Sewing mostly!
I LOVE to sew, crochet, knit, paint and other crafts.

Hugs from Marian

Neabear March 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

Those are gorgeous fabrics. I still run into people who don't craft, sew or whatever and are amazed when they see the things I make. Sometimes it seems sewing and crafting is a lost art. But in the blogging world it is true we are seeing many who do keep up the home arts skills and others trying to by learing how. I think that is wonderful.

Margie March 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

I agree, Heidi! I think it is wonderful how there are more and more women getting involed in homemade items again! I love to see them, buy them, and make them myself!

Have a lovely day!
Margie :)

Georgia Girl March 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

Got any good ideas on how I can teach myself to sew?...I bought a machine a few months ago and I have yet to make anything...Guess I am scared.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

Wonderful post, HEidi.

I, too, love how the old fashioned-ness of hobbies and crafts are flourishing in our time.

Loved the Winter Basics and Baubles swap!

Sara March 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

I love this post, it's so true!

Sherri March 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

Hi Heidi! I have also noticed everyone is getting back to sewing, especially knitting and other crafts. I think it is great!

Elise March 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

Amen, Amen!! I love to be able to create something for my home, instead of buying something. I do love the buying-don't get me wrong, but you can't beat the satisfaction of looking at your own creations.
Happy Sunday!!
Elise

Anonymous,  March 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

Heidi, We've always had some kind of project going on here too. this week I'll be working on 5 projects (so far).
Hugs,
Missy

Unknown March 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM  

A lot of people are going back to growing more veggies, too, I've noticed. Last summer there were quite a few and I've seen people getting ready this year. My parents always have a garden w/ tomatoes, cukes, beans, radishes, watermelon and pumpkins.

Cottage Rose March 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Hey Heidi; I just love those fabric colors, how gorgeous they are. My brain is thinking of all the things I could make with them.. I agree with you about how many are being so crafty again, I love to craft any thing.... Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous,  March 17, 2009 at 5:01 AM  

Great post, Heidi. And, those fabrics are gorgeous.

It is stimulating and comforting to see all the creativity that surrounds us.

Twyla and Lindsey March 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

Isn't it wonderful! I remember when I felt like I was the last crocheter in the world. I wanted to pass on the skill to my daughter so she could carry on, but then I discovered all the crafting blogs and was so inspired to see all the other crafters out there. It is so heartwarming knowing that women everywhere are creating. Twyla

cathleen March 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

LOVED this post, Heidi and also that yummy fabric!

Cheryl March 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM  

Hey Heidi great post I could not agree with you more.

Peace and Blessings
Cheryl... Snatch JOY!

Tammy March 17, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

I love that fabric! I agree, more people are crafting these days. Our local craft stores are always so busy. I have recently started sewing again after a long absence. I really missed it. My mom bought her first sewing machine last week!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP