Related Posts with Thumbnails

"For the Love of Mossy Pots"....

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You all know by now,.... how I truly believe I was born to late in history!.....Instead of living today, in the year 2010, I should be living in the 1800's, preferably on an old, overgrown estate in the English countryside... working as a groundskeeper!...I love damp drizzly weather, wellies & old moss covered pots!......

Since I call Southern California home, I can't do much about the year round warm, dry weather & I don't have many occasions to wear my wellies ( although I do have a pair!).....but the one thing I can do is have mossy garden pots!.....

So usually about this time of year, I take my terracotta pots, soak them in a tub of water & then douse them with a mixture of buttermilk & yogurt. When they are all coated, I rub them with pieces of live moss, that I find in the shady areas of our yard. Then all you do is place your pots in a cool, moist place.... & allow the moss to grow.... covering your pots with a lovely soft green layer.

Each year I actually accomplish getting the moss to grow, but then I seem to get busy with other garden tasks, forgetting that the weather keeps getting warmer, which is not something that makes moss happy....The days get too hot, my pots too dry & OH NO!...no more moss!


So once again this year, I will pretend to be an English gardner, go through the whole procedure & vow once again to be very good caretaker of these sweet charming pots. After all, it's all "For the Love of Mossy Pots"!!.........Happy gardening!......Heidi XO

15 comments:

Marla February 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

I think I'll test your moss growing technique here in Florida. The humidity should help out a lot with the process. I think I was born in the wrong century too. Hugs, Marla

Sherri February 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

I love moss pots, moss growing in the yard, moss roses, etc., etc. I love that you feel you should have been born in the 1800's-I guess that's why we get along so well together because so do I! Have a great day and enjoy your moss!

grandma peden's porch February 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

OH I AM SO THE SAME WAY I NEED TO LIVE IN SEATTLE I SO LOVE RAIN AND THE MOSSY POTS SOUND WONDERFUL BUT LIKE YOU I WOULD FORGET ABOUT THEM. =0) MARILYN

Anonymous,  February 4, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

My friend and I were recently discussing about how we as a society are so hooked onto electronics. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.livejournal.com/398.html]r4i ds[/url] DS ComP)

Country Gal February 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

Thanks Heidi for organizing the Valentine's swap. I just received my package in the mail today from "LYNN" in Arizona and wow, she did a fantastic job of homemade treasures as well as some neat tuck-ins. I felt so special! Hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day! Oh, and I LOVE your pots...thanks for the tip...will have to try duplicating..

Teresa~Gardening with Soule February 5, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

That is such a great idea. I just learned how to do that the other day on a gardening program. Yours look wonderful. I am going to mention your blog for Beverly's challenge of featuring another pink saturday blog on our website. I will link back to your post. I hope that is alright. Thanks and I hope many gardeners see this.

Stacey February 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM  

I've never tried that with pots. We have huge mossy bolders around our pond. My husband laughs because I go out and water the rocks. :) The moss just comes alive when I do. It poofs up and kind of glows. I just love it!

Michelle Palmer February 6, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

LOVE this post!
I would like to have enough confidence (and cash) to be able to get lost in the English countryside for months... the beauty is unmeasurable! We have a mossy surfaces where we live~ one of my favorites is a birdhouse where moss grew up from the bottom seams... the moss mounds look like natural shrubbery!
Hope your weekend is wonderful!
Michelle

Gail February 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

These pots are so cool. I love cottage, too. Happy PS

Lisa @celebrate CREATIVITY February 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

I love the look of moss pots too. These look wonderful.

Barbara Jean February 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Thanks for the how to's!

blessings

barbara jean

Kathy February 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

Oh Heidi, I love your beautiful mossy terracotta pots! I wouldn't find moss in Michigan right now but I intend to do this as soon as my yard has any...which probably won't be until June or July! Maybe a florist would sell me a live piece now. Thanks for the info.
xoxo...Kathy

Anonymous,  February 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

nice, i just added many new emo backgrounds 4 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Cousin B February 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

I'm a new follower, from Beverly's "Pink Saturday" site. ABSOLUTELY LOVE these pots! Thanks for sharing this tip...can't wait to try it.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP