Related Posts with Thumbnails

"A Christmas Memory" for PINK SATURDAY....

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Happy Pink Saturday to You All!.....Today is very special, since it is the first Pink Saturday that our ingenious hostess, Beverly at "How Sweet The Sound" has asked us to post about a wonderful "Chrismas memory".

Like many of you, I have dozens of happy memories of Christmases past. However, it is not really one particular happening that I remember, but instead the incredibly sweet Christmas mornings my mother created for my sister & I.

It was just the three of us, my mother & us two little girls....We had very little money, but I never felt poor. I remember listening as our mother stayed up till the wee hours of the morning wrapping gifts, .....& doing all the "Santa" things, that good parents do.....not that my sister & I ever found out!....I remember laying in bed, thinking that she had better finish & get to bed too or Santa would never come!

When morning came, it was simply magical. My mother was always up, the tree lights were on, candles were lit & hot chocolate was already prepared!......We grew up in Spokane, Washington, where Christmas Day was almost always snowy, with dark grey skies above. My mother did everything she could to make us true believers in St. Nick!....The wrapping paper was a design we had never seen, the candy we received in our stockings, was not from the grocery store, but confections only seen at Christmas time!.....And even though each & every year my mother would prepare us to not expect too much under the tree, to me & my sister it seemed like a wonderland of gifts!...

In order to give this effect, mom again was "genius"!...She would purchase one Barbie doll outfit, but would take out the dress, hat & shoes & then rewrap it all, each piece individually, usually in either white tissue or tulle with tiny bits of pretty ribbon!....One gift became three & unwrapping each was a delight!.....We usually received a beautiful doll of somekind, and then a separate box filled with handmade clothes....a dress, a coat & always a nightie!....Invariably we both would also receive a hardback book, mine almost always a "Little House" book, which I adored....as well as somekind of clothing and maybe a piece of jewelry!.....Always things that I had no doubt were made by fairies & elves!.....

My mother was, & still is someone who believes Christmas gifts should be exquisite!...but not having lots of money, lots of creativity instead was called upon!....Much was sewn, but each & ever gift was lovely....a pair of undies, was lace-trimmed, a bracelet had lots of sparkle & a tiny box of chocolate was always the finest quality. It created an enchanting atmosphere that I have tried hard to continue with our girls & now my grandson. Christmas Day is a day like no other,....one that is above all a religious celebration, but also a day that should remain one that amazes & mystifies children. It should reassure children that "Santa, reindeer & elves" are real & that "believing" is a right of all children, no matter what age they have grown to be.

So in closing, I remember the magic Christmas mornings that my mother gave to us each year.....I feel so fortunate to have been brought up in a home where "Fairy Tales & Santa Claus" really do exist!.......Merry Christmas!......Heidi XO

30 comments:

Anonymous,  December 5, 2009 at 2:14 AM  

wow that is just a beautiful memory and so well told as well.

Bluebell December 5, 2009 at 2:23 AM  

That is lovely it is so precious to have these sweet memories and so very important when you are a child. I still remember my christmas's when I was a child and my own children still get excited about christmas although one is 26 and the other is 28 they always come home with partners and want all the same things to happen.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy December 5, 2009 at 2:41 AM  

Such a wonderful story and so inspiring. I just love your blog.

Rhondi December 5, 2009 at 4:14 AM  

Hi Heidi
What lovely memories. Now I know where you get all that talent from.
Hugs, Rhondi

Marina Capano December 5, 2009 at 4:34 AM  

Hi, what a nice plan today I have, pink saturday, rain and coffee and sweet memories like yours
Thanks for sharing this beautiful story with us.

Mollye December 5, 2009 at 4:57 AM  

Thank you for sharing and helping me relive my special Christmases of old as from one sister of a creative Mother to another. Hugs, Mollye

Beverly December 5, 2009 at 5:12 AM  

Thank you for sharing the magic of your childhood Christmas' with us, dear Heidi. Those of us with such wonderful mothers were truly blessed with one of God's most precious gifts.

Happy Pink Saturday.

Ribbonwood Cottage December 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM  

Hi Heidi! I loved your memory and story. How beautiful. I too remember beautiful Christmas mornings....it was always magical...and I too recieved home made Barbie outfits that I went crazy over! Hahaha...good memories.
Have a blessed day!
Debbie

♥Mimi♥ December 5, 2009 at 6:17 AM  

On this first Saturday of December ♥Jappy Pink Saturday♥. I was away for a while and sure missed running around the blogs arnd seeing all of the goodies everyone was sharing.

Thanks for the memory...our mothers sure do make the best Christmas memories for us, don't they?

It was a blessing for you to make my morning so much fun. Hoping that you and those you care about spend a wonderful weekend making memories that will last a lifetime☺

Lynn Jones December 5, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

It sounds like your mom had at least as much fun doing up Christmas as you and your sister had discovering what she had done. When you became a mom weren't you surprised how much work your mom had done to make it all so special? Thank you for starting my day with such a sweet story.

Marie December 5, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

What a lovely post, your mother was inspired! Happy PS-
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Charmed giveaway!

GwendolynKay December 5, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

Your Christmas memories of your mother and sister with you are so wonderful. Your mother sounds like an angel. Home made gifts are a treasure. Thanks for sharing your magical memory. Pink Blessings!
Gwen

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME December 5, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

Such a wonderful post. It is very true of my mom...I love my Christmas memories and make Christmas one of my favorite holidays!

♥ Noelle ♥ December 5, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

oh heidi, what a sweet christmas story! it really put in perspective that we don't need lots of big fancy gifts:)

Journey December 5, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

What a beautiful memory!!!! That is the true spirit and such magic she created for you to pass on to your children and grandchildren. All of you are very blessed!

Mary Bergfeld December 5, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

What a wonderful women! Your story is beautiful. How wonderful it must be to have memories so sweet as these.

vickie December 5, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

Happy Pink Saturday, beautiful memories, a great story, thanks for sharing!

black eyed susans kitchen December 5, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

It really is all about family and love, isn't it. Your mother gave you a gift that you still hold in your heart.
Susan

CA Verstraete December 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Nothing like beautiful gifts made with love! Happy Pink Saturday!

Christine Verstraete
Can the chief elf investigator find out who stole the gifts and save Christmas? See Christmas at the North Pole Compound - A fun Christmas story.

Carol at Serendipity December 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

What a beautiful story and beautifully told.

Carol

Tami @ Creative girl Vintage December 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

Heidi..thank you for sharing that beautiful memory. I can only imagine how special you make Christmas for everyone now. Many Pink Blessings..xo Tami

Betzie December 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

Sweet memories and a special mom...My mom was the exact same way and made all my Christmases magical.
HPS!

Unknown December 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

OH I AGREE! Christmas Day and eve should be magical. What a sweet memory!

~Liz

Grace December 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

The way you tell stories is so beautiful...you are such a warm wonderful person, thank you for sharing this beautiful memory. Happy Pink Saturday Grace

Fandango Moon December 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM  

What a sweet story and a tribute to your mother. She must be a very special lady. Don't those seem to be the best of times? Does not take a lot of money to make Christmas special. Thank you!
Blessings
Greer

PS Great cranberry recipe too!

Unknown December 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

You INDEED were truly blessed by your Mother! Wonderful memories!
Happy PINK..Lorena

Anonymous,  December 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Thank you so much for sharing your Christmas past. Lovely.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents December 11, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

What wonderful Christmas memories you have! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Sunflower Farm and Petit Creek Lavender December 19, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

I loved your memories of Christmas. I love that you get it! What Christmas is memories, fun, make it wonderful with what you have. Thank you if only the rest of the world would get it. Merry Christmas
I am off to make something special of my day with my family

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP