Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tyler Florence's "Lasagna al Forno"....incredible!!

Monday, June 9, 2008



It's late on Monday.....I haven't blogged today, which is somewhat weird for me! ( just don't feel right without a daily post!)... I instead decided to "keep my nose to the grindstone" & finish sewing the "bibs & blankets" that I have been working on for my new etsy shop....I finished right before dinner tonight & am so pleased with the results! I will be debuting my new children's etsy shop, tomorrow afternoon. Enough about that for right now though.
Knowing that I would be busy today, I spent a bit of time in the kitchen yesterday, making Tyler Florence's "Lasagna al Forno". As with all lasagna, it takes a little time to prepare, but Tyler's was definitely worth the trouble! This is a family friendly recipe, wonderful flavor, lots of cheese...incredibly good! And I also really appreciated that Tyler includes tips throughout the recipe that are easy, & truly add to the successful outcome of this dish! Example: He explains a way to arrange the lasagna noodles, in the layering, that makes for a super stable casserole. I was able to cut & serve perfect squares without it all falling apart! Love that!.....Anyway, I have had Tyler's cookbook, "Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen" for a while...& am a devoted fan of all his Food Network shows, but have never actually made one of his recipes?? ( ashamed to admit that!) Well now I have & have also bookmarked many others!!! I so hope you take the time to make this incredible lasagna......Tyler is not only real "pretty"....he's real pretty & a great chef!


Tyler Florence......looks good & cooks!!...can't beat that!.......

LASAGNA al FORNO:
1 pound dried lasagna noodles

Olive oil

1 onion

chopped 2 cloves garlic, sliced

2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped

3 bay leaves

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 pound ground Italian sausage

6 ounces tomato paste, (1 can)

30 ounces ricotta cheese, (2 containers)

1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped

Salt and black pepper, to taste

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

4 cups tomato sauce, prepared

1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded

Grated Parmesan and mozzarella, for topping


Cook the lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water until pliable and barely tender, about 10 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. Drain the noodles thoroughly, coat with olive oil keep them moist and easy to work with.
Coat a large skillet with olive oil. Saute over medium heat, onion, garlic and herbs. Cook 5 minutes. Brown beef and sausage until no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Drain fat into a small container and discard. Stir in the tomato paste completely. Set aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, parsley and oregano. Stir in beaten eggs. Add Parmesan, season with salt and pepper.
To assemble the lasagna: Coat the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch pan with a ladle full of tomato sauce. Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise in a slightly overlapping layer on the sauce. Then, line each end of the pan with a lasagna noodle. This forms a collar that holds in the corners. Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture over the pasta. Dollop 1/2 of the ricotta mixture over the meat, spread to the edges with a spatula. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella on top of the ricotta. Top with a ladle full of tomato sauce, spread evenly. Repeat with the next layer of noodles, meat, cheeses and sauce. Top last layer with noodles, sauce and shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Tap the pan to force out air bubbles. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Let lasagna rest for 30 minutes so the noodles will settle and cut easily. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve

5 comments:

Anonymous,  June 10, 2008 at 4:35 AM  

I'm there with you on the a Tyler fan. Smart, cute, funny, charming and can cook. What more is there?

I will try this lasagna - it is a favorite dish in our home. And, how nice to be able to serve it with all the typical lasagna slide.

Congratulations about your new store. I am anxious to have a look.

Unknown June 10, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

Hi,

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love yours--wow is that your home on the right? The white farmhouse? Beautiful! I will visit you again...

annie

Donna June 10, 2008 at 8:53 AM  

The lasagna sounds fabulous! I love watching food network on tv.
Tyler is cute and a great chef!

I'll be sure to check your store!
Hugs,
Donna

Ragged Roses June 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM  

I love lasagne! I'm looking forward to seeing your new Etsy shop, congratulations
Kimx

Cami June 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM  

Looks good and cooks. I told my husband he really lucked out!!! ;)Enjoyed this post and plan to try Tyler's lasagne.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP